Premier School Elementary Teacher
Maruyama, Takamori Campuses - Sendai, Japan
Program Director, Deputy Program Director, Lead Teacher
The teacher is the homeroom teacher for a class of 16 Japanese
children in MeySen Academy Premier School. Premier School is an
after school English program for elementary school students who are
graduates of the Premier School Kindergarten. The children attend
classes four to six days a week in order to continue their English
education. The teacher leads the class not only in a classroom
setting, but also during play time, pony riding, Bible stories,
parties, field trips, camps, and many other activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Memorizes and masters GrapeSEED curriculum, which includes
chants, songs and stories.
- Prepares teaching materials and lesson plans.
- Models, teaches and develops English listening, speaking,
reading and writing skills using GrapeSEED standard teaching
- Learns, tests, and implements teaching techniques provided by
GrapeSEED curriculum training, or as requested by training staff
and Program Director.
- Intentionally cultivates relationships with the children,
learns each child's name. Consistently interacts inside and
outside the classroom with each child.
- Leads children in singing. Models correct melody, rhythm, and
pronunciation of songs for children.
- Maintains up-to-date and accurate records of attendance,
points and rewards.
- Participates in team meetings, sharing knowledge,
experiences, and ideas with fellow Premier School teachers.
- Maintains a clean classroom environment. Decorates walls and
classroom appropriate to children, current season, holiday and/or
subject of study.
- Plays actively with children outside daily: running, using
playground equipment, games, balls. Maintains a safe environment
through constant visual supervision, intervenes physically in
emergency situations, including, if necessary, carrying an
injured child to a place of safety.
- Communicates frequently with Program Director and Deputy
Program Director regarding children's learning progress and
- Working with fellow teachers, plans, manages and executes
special events and programs. Responsible for set-up and clean-up
of each program. Serves in a support capacity for other grade
level events and programs.
- Communicates with parents with the help of the assistants
regarding the progress and development of the child.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Native speaker level of English (based on a North American
- Honest, hardworking, flexible and dedicated individual who
has a warm and energetic personality
- Minimum of a four year degree in Elementary Education or
Early Childhood Education (ECE) certified
- Two or more years' experience teaching young children is
Monday-Friday 1:00 to 7:30PM
Saturdays 8:00AM to 6PM
(Teachers are generally finished with work at 12:00pm on
Saturdays, with the exception of about 12 Saturdays a year where a
full day is required.)
Sundays are off, barring 8-10 Sundays during the year
(these days are considered holiday work and are compensated
with either a day off or extra pay)
During Christmas parties and summer camps the schedule is
changed to accommodate all the events.
During these times, a work and staffing schedule is given ahead
of time so that our staff can plan accordingly. These types of
activities also require extra meetings and preparation.
Monday through Friday Schedule (Example):
1:00PM Report to work. Preparation time may include meetings,
program preparation, writing class plans, setting up the classroom,
4:00PM Children Arrive
4:30PM Journal Writing; Snack Time; Station Work
5:10PM 1st Class
6:20PM 2nd Class
6:55PM Children Leave; Wave off buses
7:10PM Clean-Up and Leave as Finished
Saturday Schedule (Example):
8:00AM Report to Work
8:30AM Children Arrive & Playtime Begins
9:10AM Journal Writing; Snack Time; Station Work
11:20AM Children Leave
11:30AM Clean-Up & Lunch
1:00PM Afternoon Programs, i.e. trip to the zoo, park, or museum.
(Saturday afternoons are free on days without a program or
Annual Base Salary starting at 2,760,000 yen
Monthly Break-down: 190,000 yen + 50,000 yen (housing subsidy) =
240,000 yen per month.
- End of the year performance based bonus and re-signing
- Fully furnished apartment within walking distance of the
- One economy class round trip plane ticket per year
- National health insurance with 70% coverage - optional
(MeySen pays half of the salary based premiums)
- Paid training (mid-February to April 1st)
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Three vacations available throughout year:
- Summer: Around 12 days (mid-August)
- Winter: Around 12 days (over New Years beginning after
- Spring: Around 7 days (end of March)
- Additionally - 10 national holidays throughout year