1. Valid Illinois Teacher Certification
2. Meets Illinois State Board of Education certification standards for Library Informational Specialist
3. Previous teaching and/or related experience related to elementary schools
4. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable
1. Building Principal
2. Director of Technology
1. Media Center Program Assistant
1. To establish and coordinate the services of the school library-media center and technology lab appropriate to the educational needs of all students enrolled.
2. To provide a full spectrum of educational enrichment materials so that each student in the school will find available instructional and non-instructional materials appropriate to his/her interests, abilities, and level of maturity.
3. To ensure students and teachers are effective users of information and ideas by providing instruction in the use of technology to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing and using information and ideas.
A. Learning and Teaching:
1. Performs the duties of information technology specialist, teacher and instructional consultant as a specialist in learning resources, strategies (information location, evaluation and use) and the design of instruction.
2. Serves on committees involved with designing learning activities for students and/or curricular revision.
3. Uses current research and methods in areas of technology, teaching, learning and information science.
4. Collaborates with teachers to integrate research, information retrieval skills and literature appreciation into the curriculum.
5. Collaborates with teachers in developing activities that stress interdisciplinary strategies.
6. Assists teachers and students in using information resources that incorporates information skills into the classroom curriculum.
7. Exercises leadership and serves as a catalyst in the instructional program providing various services to students and staff.
8. Uses a variety of materials and technology to stimulate and maximize learning to help students achieve educational personal goals.
9. Maintains an attractive and inviting physical environment that allows for enriched learning experiences and intellectual growth.
B. Information Access:
1. Selects materials and technology that support the school’s educational philosophy and curriculum.
2. Creates and maintains a collection development process which includes such aspects as maintaining accurate and current catalogs, records and inventories.
3. Provides access to materials, technology and information for both students and staff by adhering to established policies, laws (including copyright laws), principles of intellectual freedom and ethical behavior.
4. Selects and provides resources and technologies needed to integrate and produce authentic learning experiences.
C. Program Administration:
1. Develops short-range and long-range goals that guide the development of the library media program and information technology curriculum.
2. Promotes the library media program, services and its materials by maintaining a positive relationship with students, staff and the community.
3. Develops and implements policies and procedures of flexible access for staff and students.
4. Works with administration and staff to implement a technologically advanced facility and program.
5. Evaluates library media programs, services, facilities and materials to ensure optimum use
6. Submits all reports accurately and promptly.
7. Prepares and oversees a library media program budget which reflects the needs of the entire school community.
8. Selects, trains and supervises the media center program assistant, student aide and adult volunteers to perform duties efficiently.
9. Maintains and enhances professional knowledge in trends in the areas of technology and information science by participating in various professional organizations and activities which relate to the library media programs and technology.
Performance of this job will be evaluated by the Building Principal and/or in accordance with provisions of the Board of Education Policy.