Job Title: Custodian Wage/Hour Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Custodial Supervisor Pay Grade: Hourly
Length of Assignment: 12 Months Date Revised: January, 2013
Follow routine cleaning and maintenance procedures to maintain a high standard of safety, cleanliness, and efficiency of building operations and grounds.
Ability to read and understand instructions for cleaning, maintenance, and safety procedures
Knowledge of minor repair techniques and building and grounds maintenance
Ability to operate cleaning equipment and lift heavy equipment
Ability to properly handle cleaning supplies
Major Responsibilities and Duties
1. Maintain a cleaning schedule (7 Step Cleaning Procedure) that will include cleaning of floors, chalkboards, wastebaskets, windows, furniture, equipment, and restrooms.
2. Keep school building and grounds, including sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, and play areas, neat and clean.
3. Comply with local laws and procedures for storage and disposal of trash.
4. Maintaining an inventory of cleaning supplies and equipment and request additional supplies as needed.
Maintenance and Repair:
5. Assist with lunchroom set up, including arranging tables and chairs.
6. Perform preventive maintenance to ensure the comfort, health, and safety of students and staff.
7. Regulate heat, ventilation, and air conditioning systems to provide appropriate temperatures and ensure economical usage of fuel, water, and electricity.
8. Make minor building repairs as needed and report major repair needs to principal.
9. Move furniture or equipment within building as directed by principal.
10. Assist in setting up facilities for special events.
11. Assist with opening and closing building each school day.
12. Follow established procedures for locking, checking, and safeguarding facilities.
13. Check daily to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly during hours of building occupancy.
14. Inspect machines and equipment for safety and efficiency.
15. Operate tools and equipment according to established safety procedures.
16. Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting, climbing, etc.
17. Correct unsafe conditions in work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to supervisor immediately.
18. Treat all staff and students in a professional courteous manner.
19. Maintain emotional control under stress.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Frequent strenuous walking, standing, climbing, and heavy lifting and carrying. Work outside and inside, on slippery or uneven walking surfaces, and ladders. Exposure to hot and cold temperatures, dust, toxic chemicals and materials. Work alone and/or in groups. Ability to read and understand label information. Ability to understand verbal instructions.
Roto, wet and dry vacuum cleaners, extractors, finishing systems, auto scrubber, burnisher, custodial cart, floor cleaning equipment, ladders, hand truck, hand tools.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Approved by Date
Reviewed by Date