Position/Title: Middle School Math Teacher
Responsible To: Principal
Qualifications: • Valid Illinois Teaching Certificate, Math Endorsement, Highly Qualified
General Responsibilities: To help students develop competence in math skills and to motivate each student to apply mathematical understanding and skills in the solution of problems.
1. Teaches courses in mathematics to students utilizing appropriate curriculum.
2. Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interest and abilities of the student.
3. Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interest of the students.
4. Prepares for classes assigned, and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of Principal.
5. Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
6. Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and establishes clear objectives for all lessons,
units, projects and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
7. Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the
location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups level.
8. Strives to implement by instruction and action the district’s philosophy of education and instructional goals
9. Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
10. Takes all necessary precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
11. Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulations.
12. Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, for the classroom; develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure and maintains order in the classroom in a fair just manner.
13. Makes provisions for being available to students and parents for education related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so, under reasonable terms.
14. Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Required: State of Illinois Teacher Certification (including Type 09 or Provisional)
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
· Correct oral and written usage of English
· Physical, intellectual, social, and emotional growth patterns in students.
· Academic testing practices, procedures and methods.
· Safe practices in classroom and playground activities.
· Reading and writing communication skills.
· Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
· Record-keeping techniques.
· Cultural differences in student population.
· Assist students with the instructional program and related activities of the assigned learning environment.
· Establish and maintain effective relationships with students, parents, staff and the public including members of ethnic communities and foreign countries.
· Prepare and maintain confidential records and files.
· Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
· Understand and follow oral and written directions.
· Communicate effectively with children and adults.
· Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships.
· Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Monitor and discipline students according to approved policies and procedures.
· Operate instruction and office equipment.
· Relate sensitively to a diverse student population.
Environment: School sites; indoor and outdoor settings.
Physical Abilities: Standing for extended periods of time; bending at the waist to assist students; reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; hearing and speaking to exchange information; seeing to monitor student activities and behavior; dexterity of hands and fingers to demonstrate activities and prepare materials.