Reporting to the Director of Finance and Accounting,
the Controller is responsible for overseeing all transactional accounting
activities of the network including receivables, purchase order processing, payables,
payroll, financial reporting, accounting controls and procedures, and year-end
audit. The Controller will offer and direct implementation of ideas for
process improvement, automation, and resource utilization. Together with
the accounting and finance staff, the Controller will continue to build the
capacity and development of the accounting functions.
- Manage the organizational payroll function and maintain the required data
- Prepare monthly and annual financial statements and in a timely manner
- Oversee all accounting transactions and ensure compliance with accounting policies
- Prepares journal entries and account analyses, as necessary, to ensure proper accountability and internal control of LEARN's assets.
- Prepare cash flow projections
- Direct payables and receivables processes
- Automate and improve existing accounting processes
- Complete bank reconciliations
- Coordinate with Director annual audit performed by independent, external auditors
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Prepare financial compliance for bank loans, and public/private funding sources
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in financial accounting and reporting.
- Strong Organizational Skills
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles & basics
- High value of ethics, dependability, and reliability
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated proficiency in spreadsheets
- Positive "can do" attitude
- Strong teamwork values
- Detailed oriented and organized
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects, adhering to timelines
- Ability to evaluate and improve processes
- Able to establish and maintain professional relationships
- Can communicate accurately, courteously and effectively -orally and in writing - to
- Leadership skills and experience in nonprofit education environments a plus
- CPA certification a plus
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal
1. Experience with Microsoft Office
applications, databases, and intranet and internet usage.
2. Experience with Blackbaud's Financial
Edge accounting system
3. Strong written and verbal skills
4. Professional demeanor
5. Ability to express self effectively
and concisely, both orally and in writing.
6. Experience in development and
7. Ability to prioritize and manage
multiple projects, adhering to strict timelines.
8. Detail oriented and highly organized.
interacting with internal and external customers
10. Ability to defuse
situation and get other organized to meet project expectations
11. High degree of initiative and
12. Ability to tactfully and effectively
deal with public and staff in a personable and professional manner.
13. Maintains a high level of energy and a
consistent positive attitude.
work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment. Requires ability to communicate and exchange
information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain
work performed in a general office environment.
Position requires availability for extended hours plus non-traditional
hours required to perform job duties. It also requires the ability to travel in
the Chicagoland areas and occasionally outside the area. Also requires
participation and attendance at organization sponsored events and meetings.
This job description is not
intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills
required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or
without notice, in accordance with the needs of LEARN Charter Schools Network. Since no job description can detail all the
duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the
performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a
job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing
nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder's