METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Electronic application can be accessed on the district website at http://www.grpublicschools.org/. A valid Michigan teaching certificate or "Letter of Eligibility" must be submitted to be considered. No paper applications/resumes will be accepted. No telephone calls please. Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
REGISTERED NURSE Special Needs
The nurse works in collaboration with parents and members of the educational and healthcare team to provide direct health services to children to enable them to participate in the educational process. The nurse uses clinical judgment to assess, diagnose, treat and evaluate the student, student family, and staff response to actual or potential health conditions.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Assesses and monitors physiological, psychological and sociocultural needs of students, and their significant others.
2. Provides nursing services including administration of medications and treatments to identified students according to the physician's orders, districts policies, procedures and guidelines.
3. Applies knowledge of medications and treatments to evaluate the effectiveness and monitor for potential side effects of services provided.
4. Able to calculate dosages and amounts for administration of medication and treatment.
5. Communicates with the school nurse and parents essential information regarding treatments provided at school and observations of the child's response.
6. Works in collaboration with school nurse in planning and care of assigned students.
7. Provides nursing care consistent with the written plan of care.
8. Documents nursing care/ teaching consistent with documentation guidelines and compiles complete and accurate reports.
9. Maintains knowledge of current trends and development in the field by reading appropriate books, journals, other literature and attending related conferences, seminars.
10. Make quality independent decisions and solve practical problems with a variety of variables.
11. May delegate and supervise nursing care provided by LPN's or paraprofessionals.
12. May provide nursing services to students in the home during orientation and transition to school programming.
13. Home visits may be needed to perform an assessment, facilitate communication, and coordinate care of the student.
14. May be required to accompany children that have medical needs requiring nursing services during transportation.
15. Ensures that children, their families, and others are treated with kindness and respect.
16. Demonstrates teamwork and integrity in all work-related activities.
17. Provides leadership in the development of the role and policies/procedures in care for medically fragile, ventilator dependent children..
18. Takes initiative to make sure students have a nurse to care for them when he/she is off duty for illness or leaves.
19. Interacts with the parents, students, co-workers and community members in a positive and supportive manner.
20. Other Duties as assigned.
PREPARATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCES AND EDUCATION:
1. Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan.
2. Bachelor's Degree in Nursing or related field.
3. Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Certification preferred.
4. A minimum of a year of recent nursing experience with chronically ill medically fragile children on ventilators required. Experience in the home or community preferred.
5. Experience in resuscitating children.
6. Time management and organizational skills.
7. Effective written and verbal communication skills.
8. Computer literacy and competency in the use of existing technology. The ability to use word processing, patient record keeping and relational database software.
9. Maintenance of yearly CPR certification.
10. Demonstrated ability to make quality, independent decisions and solve practical problems with a variety of variables.
11. Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently under tight deadlines, and multiple interruptions.
12. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse students, peers, parents and community.
13. Demonstrated good attendance and punctuality.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
• sit, stand, walk, run, stoop and kneel or work on the floor on a continuous basis
• lift up to a 60 pound weight load
• bend, push and/or pull loads, such as pushing children in wheelchairs or moving/rearranging furniture or assisting students with standing, transferring and walking.
• physically restrain students, when required.
• close and distance vision, with depth perception.
• hearing abilities including auscultation using a stethoscope.
• ride school bus during student transport.