Position Title: Speech Instructor
Division: Communication and Education
Employee Status: Full-time (nine-month)
Issued: November 15, 1978
Revised: 12-99; 1-12
Reports to: General supervision is received from the Associate Dean, Communication and Education.
Supervision Exercised: Functional supervision may be exercised over student workers.
To teach assigned classes and perform activities related to classroom instruction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Related duties may be assigned.
· Meet classes at assigned times.
· Plan course content and assign appropriate course work.
· Maintain student records.
· Evaluate student progress and assign grades.
· Revise course outlines, objectives, and catalog information as needed.
· Select appropriate texts and teaching materials.
· Maintain office hours convenient for students.
· Prepare course/class reports as required.
· Attend and participate in conferences related to teaching area; membership in appropriate professional organizations is recommended.
· Submit budget requests and written narrative when appropriate.
· Keep abreast of developments in the field.
· Attend required meetings (faculty, division, in-service training, etc.)
· Assist in short-range and long-range planning.
· Participate in division, college, advisory committees, and community activities.
· Participate in assessment of student learning.
· Present/Teach objectives listed in speech communication curriculum.
· Assist in evaluating other divisional faculty members.
· Assist in student program advisement when appropriate.
Conditions of Employment: This is a full-time, nine-month tenure track position to begin August 2012, with the tenure decision in three years. This faculty teaching position offers an opportunity to teach credit Speech courses in the Communication and Education division. The successful candidate will have experience and interest in teaching the basic speech course as well as a broad range of additional contexts (courses) in the communication discipline such as interpersonal, intercultural, small group, gender communication, as well as oral interpretation of literature and public speaking.
Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and group life insurance plans are offered and State Universities Retirement System (SURS) administered retirement plan. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Optional overload, summer teaching and online teaching assignments are possible, depending upon availability. Flexibility in work schedule is necessary. Interest in serving a diverse student population is essential.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Master’s degree in Speech Communication.
· Demonstrated outstanding teaching in higher education.
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and students.
· The candidate may also have experience and interest in online and hybrid teaching.
· Forensics experience can be included in your application.
· Work effectively with diverse populations.
· Commit to the philosophy and mission of the college.
Application Process: Submit the following materials either online at www.rockvalleycollege.edu/employment or under single cover to the address listed below by February 1, 2012; however, applications will continue to be accepted until position is filled:
· Cover letter which specifically addresses how you are qualified for the position described above (No generic letters, please).
· Current vita/resume, including names, addresses and telephone numbers of a minimum of three references.
· Three recent letters of recommendation.
· Unofficial transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work completed.
· Teaching philosophy.
· (Optional) Documentation of successful classroom instruction.
Rock Valley College
Human Resource Services
3301 N. Mulford Road
Rockford, IL 61114
RVC is an equal opportunity employer committed to increasing diversity and encourages
applications from members of underrepresented groups.