Position Title: Administrative Assistant I
Dept: Recruitment and Admissions
Employee Status: Full-time
Type: Educational Support Personnel
Issued: November 2001
Revised: 6-11; 1-12
Application Process: Complete online application by clicking on the “Apply” link shown above or at www.rockvalleycollege.edu/employment; include cover letter and current resume.
Please note: Candidates who progress to the final stage in the interview process will be required to successfully complete and pass the following computer-based tests: Keyboarding, Spelling, Word 2007-Basic, and Excel 2007.
Reports to: Supervision is received from the Manager, Recruitment and Admissions.
Supervision Exercised: Supervision may be exercised over student workers.
Provide clerical support, reception functions, word processing and data entry of both numerical and written materials. Must be willing to be flexible with duties, and complete work assignments as requested by supervisor. Be cross-trained in all administrative functions of the Recruitment and Admissions Office and assist in all areas as needed i.e. switchboard operation, enrollment form and prospect data entry, student ID issuance, tele-counseling, and all other Information Center services. Assist other staff with office duties and projects as necessary and as requested by supervisor. Provide excellent customer service to current and prospective students, faculty, and staff. Confidentiality and discretion are required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Related duties may be assigned.
- Provide coverage of the college switchboard.
- Provide clerical support to the Recruitment and Admissions office.
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers at all times.
- Data processing of inquiries, enrollment forms, and high school transcripts using the Datatel system.
- Accept inbound phone bank communications as well as in person, emails, and written correspondence.
- Sort and distribute mail, answer telephone, take messages and perform similar tasks.
- Prepare and revise material such as correspondence, reports, statistical tables, addresses, and forms, from rough draft, corrected copy, or previous computer versions.
- Proofread completed documents to check for errors and make corrections.
- Maintain accurate knowledge of college departments and processes in order to respond to questions of both internal and external customers.
- Operate photocopying machine, fax machine, or other office equipment as needed and ability to perform minor preventative maintenance on office machines.
- File, code and arrange filing of, completed documents as well as purge files in accordance with statutory governmental regulations and/or college guidelines.
- Attend meetings as needed and take notes, minutes/notes as necessary/assigned.
- Utilize Internet and other technologies to perform work assignments.
- Assist with communications management and daily mailings.
- Provide admissions support for Educational Planning Sessions.
- Assist recruitment staff with tele-counseling initiatives.
- Collect data and complete reports as requested.
- Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Work collaboratively as a team member.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
College or technical school coursework preferred; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one small group situations to students, faculty, and other employees of the organization. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, and database entry. Ability to learn and use College’s administrative software system, as appropriate to position.