ORGANIZATION: Victory Education Partners (Victory) advises and serves independent public charter schools and urban school districts. Its mission is to help charter school leaders and communities create great schools. The organization is unique in its collaborative approach to assisting charter schools and public school districts, and in its strong emphasis on partnerships with all public education stakeholders. Victory was founded in 1999 and has been favorably cited by the U.S. Department of Education, Time magazine, Harvard's Kennedy School, and others. To date, the organization has helped create, advise or support over two dozen charter schools, traditional public schools and school districts, impacting thousands of school children each day.
In partnership with the Chicago International Charter Schools (CICS), Victory leads four K-8 schools across Chicago: Avalon Campus (South Side),Basil Campus (South Side), Irving Park (Northwest Side), and Washington Park (South Side). In total, these schools serve over 2,100+ students.
Victory has made great gains at these schools and is poised to build upon its recent success. For instance, in 2010 Irving Park students achieved their highest composite scores on the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) since opening in 2007. On the ISAT math exam, 83.8% of Irving Park's third through fifth grade students met or exceeded the state's benchmark. Irving Park was recently listed in the Chicago Tribune as the charter school with the highest percentage of students meeting or exceeding ISAT standards - 92.5%. Although we made great gains, we know our work is not complete. We are committed to ensuring all students are prepared to attend and succeed in high school and beyond.
Led by a dynamic and ambitious leadership team that has experience in school and district leadership at nationally recognized organizations, Victory continues to strive for excellence as we work toward our goals.
POSITION: Join our team of 5-8 teachers during an exciting period in our development. As we continue to strive to improve, we will usher in a day in Chicago when the promise of educational excellence for "all" of our children will truly mean "all." We will only get there with great teachers. Our teachers will set the vision and direction of the school; design and implement a rigorous academic curriculum; and ensure that students graduate career and college ready. Our elementary grades will implement a co-teaching model--one lead teacher and one assistant teacher.
Student Achievement & Character Education
- Design and implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards.
- Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards academic standards.
- Use data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices.
- Demonstrate strong content knowledge; all information conveyed is factually accurate.
- Set and attain ambitious student achievement, career, and socio-emotional benchmarks.
- Ensure that all students graduate ready for the next academic level.
- Develop students' character: grit, self-control, social intelligence, optimism and curiosity.
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior to ensure that students observe the school's core values, high expectations, and strict code of conduct
- Participate in curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions.
- Reflect on successes and areas of growth; seek to improve performance.
- Work with coach, grade-level chair and school team to constantly evaluate and improve mastery of instructional, culture building, and leadership skills.
- Participate in an annual three-week staff orientation and training.
REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Unapologetically believes low-income students can become college and career ready.
- Possesses a strong willingness to work hard and long hours to get the job done.
- Expects personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best.
- Adjusts to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Proactive. Acts without being told what to do.
- Sees and communicates in an inspiring way.
- Possesses 1 to 5 years of successful classroom teaching experience in an urban setting.
- Demonstrated mastery of academic subjects.
- Valid State Certification is preferred but not required.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
LOCATION: Chicago, Illinois.
COMPENSATION: Salary and benefits will be competitive, commensurate with experience.
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS PLEASE APPLY:
Apply online here. If needed submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Victory // CICS Teacher" in the subject line. In addition, attach a summary of any student achievement results and any relevant supporting evidence. Victory is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin.