· Baccalaureate Degree
· Current Registered Nurse licensure in State of Illinois
· Experience in nursing and completion of a school health orientation program preferred
· Computer literacy and competency in use of existing technology
· Must sign an agreement to pursue school nursing certification
· Health Services Coordinator
· Certified ( IL Type 73) School Nurse--Direct Supervisor
· Administrator - Principal, Student Services Director, or as designated by the district.
To provide direct nursing services to students and staff members to maximize health and wellness in the school community. All duties are performed in accordance with district/state board of education policies and procedures and state law regarding nurse practice.
· Provides direct professional nursing services, first aid, illness, and emergency care to students and staff in response to the
· nursing assessment and in accordance with professional standards, school policy and procedures, and state and local mandates.
· Administers medication with appropriate documentation.
· Participates in maintaining accurate medical records to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, physical examinations, and medical conditions, and the related archival responsibilities.
· Performs mandated screening procedures for vision and hearing (requires state credentials as a screener).
· Makes appropriate assessment and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandated reporter.
· Maintains communication with the certified school nurse, teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action which will meet the health and safety needs of students.
· Provides health services, information, and counseling in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
· Completes accident/incident reports for students/staff.
· Compiles data for statistical purposes.
· Maintains confidentiality regarding all school and health-related issues.
· Maintains a daily log of student/staff visits and documentation on individual health records
· Maintains the daily environment of the health office facility and supplies
· Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties.
· Performs other health or school related work as required.
· Maintains contact with a professional nursing organization and utilizes continuing education opportunities to enhance professional knowledge
· Participates as an active member of the school community, representing health/wellness.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a temporary position maximum length 3 years. Wages, terms, and conditions of employment pursuant to the collective bargaining agreement between the Decatur Education Association and the Decatur Public Schools #61 Board of Education.
At times this position may require more than the work day to perform the essential duties of the position, therefore, this position allows for flex time due to meetings and duties that may extend beyond the professional work day.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel and provisions set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus. Must have mobility to carry out the responsibilities and duties as listed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The employee may be required to work at multiple district locations as necessary.