Salary: $13,176 - 16,213 per year
Term: 187 days per year
Benefits: Paid health insurance; paid sick/personal leave
Job Title: Aide
Reports to: Principal and Assigned Supervisor
Assist in the preparation and management of assigned activities and administrative requirements. Work under close supervision of the principal and assigned supervisor.
Must have one of the following:
1. At least 48 hours of college credit from an accredited college or university or
2. Have a No Child Left Behind Certificate from another school district or
3. NCLB Certificate equivalent, approved by the State of Texas, from another school district
(example: Professional Assessment of Knowledge and Skills Evaluation (PAKS))
Ability to work well with children and children with disabilities.
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
Ability to communicate effectively.
Knowledge of general office equipment.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Uphold and enforce school rules, administrative regulations, and state and local board policy.
2. Prepare correspondence, forms, reports, etc. for the assigned supervisor in an efficient and timely manner.
3. Participate in staff development training programs, faculty meetings, and special events, as needed.
4. Provide orientation and assistance to substitute teachers/staff.
5. Assist the supervisor in preparing instructional materials and displays in the classroom/PE facility/clinic /library.
6. Work with individual students or small groups to conduct instructional exercises assigned by the supervisor.
7. Assist with the administration and scoring of objective testing instruments or work assignments in the classroom/PE facility/clinic/library.
8. Assist in supervising students throughout the school day, both inside and outside the classroom/PE facility/clinic/library.
9. Assist in inventory, care, and maintenance of equipment in the classroom/PE facility/clinic/library.
10. Keep the teacher or assigned supervisor informed of any special needs or problems of individual students.
11. Assist in maintaining a positive learning environment.
12. Maintain confidentiality of all information.
13. Observe professional ethical standards in accordance with generally accepted community standards and the Texas Education Agency Code of Ethics.
14. Assist in emergency/crisis situations on campus.
ALTHOUGH SOME RESPONSIBILITIES MAY OVELAP, THE FOLLOWING ARE SPECIALIZED FOR SPECIFIC POSITIONS:
ABU 18. Assist in restraint techniques.
19. Assist in meeting the behavioral needs of emotionally disturbed students.
20. Participate in staff development activities to learn appropriate non-violent crisis prevention intervention techniques (NVCPI).
SPECIAL ED 21. Knowledge of sign language (not always essential).
22. Help meet the individual needs of students, including transferring them to and from wheelchairs, lifting and positioning them, signing or interpreting instructions for them.
23. Help students take care of physical needs and personal care including feeding, bathroom needs, and personal hygiene.
24. Help manage the behavior of assigned students. This includes intervening in crisis situations and restraining disruptive or student behavior as needed.
25. Implements orthopedic and physical therapy as designed by the Licensed Physical Therapist (LPT) on assigned student(s) as instructed.
26. Keep teacher informed of special needs or problems of assigned students.
27. Help supervise students throughout the school day, inside and outside the classroom. This includes lunchroom, bus and playground duty.
Wheelchair lift, ramp, computer, copier, typewriter, audiovisual equipment, office machines, P.E. equipment.
Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written)
Maintain emotional control under stress
Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Repetitive hand motions
Work with frequent interruptions
Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, and pulling.
Physical ability to lift or assist in lifting students and equipment.
Biological exposure to bacteria and communicable diseases.
Regular work attendance
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required.