AUSL is a nonprofit school management
organization partnering with Chicago Public Schools, and currently manages a
network of 25 schools. At AUSL, it is our mission to improve student
achievement in Chicago's high-poverty, chronically failing schools through our
disciplined transformation process. For
more information about AUSL, go to http://www.ausl-chicago.org.
AUSL seeks a highly qualified candidate with experience in Bilingual education to
provide outstanding, individualized coaching and professional development to
the dedicated teachers in AUSL elementary turnaround schools. Coaches work
closely with teachers to deepen the teachers' repertoire of classroom
strategies, including using student data to drive differentiated instruction,
and to bring relentless focus to accelerating student learning, especially in
the areas of literacy and critical thinking. Bilingual Elementary Coaches will
also provide specific support to teachers, schools, and other members of the
AUSL network around best practices and legal mandates for Bilingual
instruction. The Coach will collaborate with other AUSL coaches to develop
and deliver professional development to teachers across AUSL's network, to
contribute to the building and success of the network's Bilingual program, and
to participate in recruitment and other network-wide initiatives. All
candidates must possess a commitment to deep levels of educational change and
reform, resilience of spirit, and an earnest respect and fondness for the
children of our schools.
- Provide real-time classroom coaching and outstanding,
individualized professional development in behavior/classroom management, rigorous
instruction, and best practices for Bilingual education to the teachers in
turnaround schools in a variety of subjects and grade levels,
Bilingual/ELL and General Education.
- Analyze teachers' practice in order to create intentional
next steps and guided practice in order to improve teacher practices. Utilize
a repertoire of strategies for adult learners including real-time,
side-by-side classroom coaching, co-planning and co-teaching of lessons,
modeling of best practice strategies, analysis of student work, and
classroom observation & feedback to improve teacher practices.
- Implement the AUSL coaching model which is active,
transparent, collaborative, and highly accountable.
- Collaborate with administrators and teachers to establish
teacher performance goals and coach teachers as necessary to meet those
- Complete projects related to the implementation of
high-quality curricular initiatives at the school site or for the AUSL
elementary school network.
- Demonstrate commitment to increasing student achievement with
data-driven instruction by managing and supporting school-based teachers
- Collaborate in the design and delivery of Summer Turnaround
Training workshops, as well as site- and network-based professional
development throughout the school year.
- Monitor student assessment data and create reports.
- Use MS Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and video
technology (Flip Cameras, iPads) to monitor coaching practices and teacher
- Master's degree in an education-related field; current
teaching certificate with Bilingual Approval, Endorsement, or Transitional
- Experience as a successful and innovative Bilingual/ELL teacher,
including the skills necessary to mentor adult learners; minimum five
years of successful K-8 classroom teaching experience.
- Extensive experience in urban educational settings.
- Prior experience coaching or mentoring adult learners.
- Excellent time-management, organization, and interpersonal
- Strong collaborative, interpersonal, and teamwork skills in
working with a diverse group of school and network-based stakeholders.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Fluent in both Spanish and English.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and use of video
technology (Flip cameras, iPads).
is a full-time (40 hours/week), year-round position as an employee of AUSL; it
is not a CPS position.
AUSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.