ROLE AND PURPOSE:
To aide bus driver in overseeing comfort and safety of students while on the bus and in the immediate area of the bus.
Ability to follow verbal instructions.
Ability to operate safety equipment and adaptive equipment.
Ability to work well with children with disabilities.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Positions self towards the rear of the bus in an area that provides maximum observation of all riders.
2. Works with drivers as a team in assisting each other.
3. Is willing to work with driver as a team to keep the bus safe, clean, and ready for use by sweeping the floor, and keeping the windows clean inside.
4. Inspects assistive devices on a daily basis before and after route. Devices need to be kept clean and sanitary.
5. Is willing and able to submit to substance abuse and alcohol misuse testing as prescribed by school district policy.
6. Is willing to attend in-service training classes and safety meetings as required by the district.
7. Possesses working knowledge of how to care for challenged students with diverse and special transportation needs.
8. While cleaning bus after each route operated, checks for lost items or children still on bus.
9. Maintains a presentable appearance that includes being properly dressed according to district standards, neat grooming, and good hygiene.
10. Exercises student management through correct use of communication and discipline and reports discipline problems to school officials using a written referral form.
11. Maintains good work habits through timeliness and low absenteeism.
12. Operates adaptive transportation lift to board and discharge challenged passengers using safe and responsible procedures.
13. Controls emergency situations in the proper manner.
14. Conducts work in a manner consistent with Texas Hazard Communication Act.
15. Conducts work in a manner consistent with rules and regulatory guidelines for Pathogen handling.
16. Maintains a cooperative attitude with fellow employees, supervisors, parents, and school personnel, always promoting district goodwill.
17. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Wheelchair lifts, ramps, and locks.
MENTAL DEMANDS: Ability to communicate effectively; maintains emotional control under stress; ability to maintain effective control over groups of students.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS: Frequent walking, stooping, climbing, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling; moderate to heavy lifting and carrying. Work outside and inside; work around equipment with moving parts and vehicles; exposure to hot and cold temperatures and vehicle fumes.