World Language Teacher - Spanish
Available: July 27, 2012
Closes: Open Until Filled
Estrella Mountain Elementary School
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To provide a strong effective learning experience for all students by creating a nurturing and stimulating environment in which every child is expected to develop their skills to speak, read, and write Spanish.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Instruct students listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in a foreign language - Spanish.
- Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials to help students develop their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in a foreign language - Spanish.
- Provides learning experiences that develop students’ listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in a foreign language - Spanish.
- Provides individualized and small group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
- Develops pupil understanding and appreciation of culture of countries where the studied language is spoken.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
- Evaluates each student’s progress
- Selects and orders books, instructional aids, and instructional supplies as necessary with the approval of school administration.
- Communicates with parents and school personnel on student progress.
- Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs.
- Maintains control of storage and use of school-owned property.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education provided by the District and/or in self-selected professional growth activities.
- Maintains courteous and professional relationships with students, parent and staff
- Other duties as may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Valid Arizona teacher certification authorizing service in grade levels and areas assigned.
- Bilingual endorsement in Spanish preferred
- Highly qualified or working towards becoming highly qualified for the position.
- Valid fingerprint clearance card required
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited university, including all courses to meet Arizona certification requirements.
- Master’s degree preferred
- Teaching experience preferred
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Able to communicate effectively with staff, students, and community members. Ability to speak, read, and write Spanish.
Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to address problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Deep understanding of research and evidence-based practices for teaching Spanish and assessing student progress toward mastery of state and national standards.
- General knowledge of research-based strategies in literacy, curriculum, and instruction.
- Conduct assessments, gather and assist in analyzing data, and write reports related to Spanish literacy.
- Use technologies in the teaching/learning process.
- Become familiar with the administration and interpretation of in-depth diagnostic measures or additional assessments commonly used in the school to determine students’ academic needs and monitor student academic progress.
- Produce accurate work and complete assigned tasks independently, with minimal supervision.
- Perform all duties in accordance with Federal and State laws, district procedures, and Board policies.
- Ability to develop effective working rapport with students, staff, and community.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or controls and use a keyboard or keypad. The employee occasionally is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk or sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to ten pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus and monitor students on the periphery.
The employee regularly works indoors.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The duties and responsibilities identified in this position description are illustrative only and are in no way intended to be a complete list of activities that may be required of an incumbent.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
10 Months/40 hours per week
10 sick/personal days
Health, dental, vision, life insurance
Participation in Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
Appropriate placement on Certified Teacher Intial Placement Base Salary Schedule