POSITION TITLE: PARAEDUCATOR – SPECIAL EDUCATION FOR THE HEARING IMPAIRED
To serve as an integral member of the instructional team to provide services to individual student(s) who are hearing impaired, in accordance with the goals/objectives identified by the Individual Education Plan (IEP).
Works under the supervision of a Certified Staff Professional(s) and/or appropriate Administrator
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Work with and under immediate direction of Hearing Impaired professionals and the classroom teachers.
· Use of sign language or equipment for the hearing impaired.
· Use word processing programs such as Word, Excel.
· Assist the Hearing Impaired staff and school staff with modifications and services necessary for the education of students with hearing impairments.
· Participate in training on any new Hearing Impaired technology including software, computers, and adaptive assisted devices
· Assist teachers(s) with:
Planning, production, and organization of instructional material.
Individual and/or group instruction activities.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Work with students under the direction of a certified staff member to maximize students’ independence.
· Assist the Hearing Impaired staff and other teachers to achieve IEP objectives for the student.
· Create tactile materials.
· Assist student with materials in the classroom.
· Troubleshoot and work with little supervision.
· Keep the instructional staff (HI, O&M, and others) aware of any special needs or problems of individual student.
· Assist in inventory, care, and maintenance of equipment.
· Provide orientation and assistance to substitute teachers.
· Cognitive Demands:
Reading, effective oral and written communication skills,
emotional control under stress,
Ability to learn adaptive technology or sign language as appropriate to the student.
· Ensure the SAFETY of student throughout the school (classroom(s), cafeteria, gym, playground)
Essential KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of sign language. Training will be provided if necessary, to improve or teach these skills to qualified candidates.
· Typing and keyboarding skills.
· Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
· Appropriate reading, spelling, writing and math skills to support student.
· Must possess or be willing to acquire the skills necessary to work productively with children.
· Demonstrated ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions effectively.
· Must exhibit good judgment, patience, tact and courtesy.
· Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the essential functions of the position.
· Proficiency in basic reading, math, writing, and speaking English.
· Knowledge of and use of ethical practices regarding confidential communication about students.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time to view & operate computer equipment, and to stand for extended periods of time to assist student(s) and/or staff.
· The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop and kneel.
· The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms.
· The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
· Minimum of High School Diploma, G.E.D Certificate and Successful Completion of Parapro Exam or Associates Degree or 60 College Credits. Bachelors Degree preferred.
· Must meet NCLB compliance requirements, as applicable.
· Must possess or be willing to acquire the skills necessary to support needs associated with autism, ABA, behavioral needs, as well as activities of daily living such as feeding.
· Experience/training in working with children preferred.
· Such additions and alternatives to the above qualifications as may be appropriate and acceptable.
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Paraeducators of Stamford Association.
WORK YEAR: Per Collective Bargaining Agreement.
COMPENSATION: As outlined in Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Hiring Range: $17,337.06 – 17,856.93 annually based on 2011-2012 salary schedule.
- Stipend of $1,000 annually as outlined in collective bargaining agreement.