AUSL is a nonprofit school management organization partnering with Chicago Public Schools to train teachers for positions in high-needs schools in the growing network of CPS schools managed by AUSL (currently 19 elementary and high schools). At AUSL, it is our mission to improve student achievement in Chicago’s high-poverty, chronically failing schools through our disciplined transformation process. AUSL's Chicago Teacher Residency program will train up to 200 future teachers in 14 elementary and high schools in 2012-13; these are regular CPS schools with a supplemental mission to provide intensive mentoring to teacher trainees. For more information about AUSL, go to http://www.ausl-chicago.org.
AUSL seeks experienced educators to be the Mentor-Resident Coach (MRC) for a number of these teacher training sites. The MRC is the program leader at his/her site, responsible for coaching, supporting, and delivering professional development to a cohort of 10 to 15 future teachers (“residents”) and their experienced mentor teachers. In one year, AUSL’s residents earn a Master’s degree and their teaching certification while also obtaining experience in the classroom of an experienced teacher, four days a week for a full year.
· Provide structured, high-quality professional development and coaching to mentors and residents
· Deliver instruction to teachers using AUSL-designed professional development content, including Charlotte Danielson’s Framework for Teaching
· Manage resident assessment process
· Participate in adjunct teaching and other projects with AUSL’s university partner, in the course of delivering a coordinated residency and master’s degree program
· Participate in screening and selecting residents for admission to the program
· Assist principals with professional development and coaching of all teaching staff in the school site, not limited to mentors and residents.
· Master’s degree or above, in an education-related field
· Illinois teaching certificate and at least 3 years of teaching experience, either K-8 or 9-12 or a combination
· Experience working in high-needs urban schools
· A visionary and passionate spirit, with a deep commitment to public education and to serving the needs of teachers, students, and families in high needs schools
· Skills and experience coaching teachers in planning, classroom management, and instructional strategies
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
. Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to problem-solve and to create organizational structures that facilitate efficient systems for others
. Strong collaborative, interpersonal and teamwork skills, particularly in working with diverse stakeholders.
Candidates who are currently CPS employees (e.g., Regular Teachers) may continue to be employed by CPS while performing this role. Candidates who are not currently CPS employees would be employed by AUSL.
How to apply
To apply: go to http://www.ausl-chicago.org/ausl-apply.html and scroll down to select this position, complete a brief online application, and upload your resume and cover letter. AUSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information about AUSL, go to http://www.ausl-chicago.org/.