Supervisor - Related Services/Special Education REVISED
ASD EDUCATION CENTER
The reporting work date for this position is on or after July 9, 2012.
The following are required:
- Master's degree or higher in a Related Services or Special Education area
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a Related Services or Special Education area
- Valid Alaska Teaching (Initial, Professional, or Master) or Type C (Related Services) certificate, or ability to possess one by 7/1/2012
The following are preferred:
- Valid Alaska Type B or F administrative certificate, or ability to possess one by 7/1/2014
Major Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- The successful candidate will show evidence of:
- Exceptional communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Extensive experience with conflict resolution skills
- The successful candidate will demonstrate a:
- Strong knowledge of school-based services, practices and trends in the related services disciplines and special education.
- Ability and desire to facilitate in difficult or sensitive situations involving special education issues with families and school teams.
- Ability to creatively problem-solve staffing needs in special education/related services shortage areas.
- Strong knowledge of district, state and federal special education policies, regulations and/or laws
- Ability to use technology for record-keeping and research.
- Extensive knowledge of ethical practices and professional standards of all programs assigned within related services and special education.
This 230 day Exempt position assists the Director, Related Services in the supervision of Related Services programs. The position's salary will be between $84,000 and $86,340 depending upon education and experience. The responsibilities listed below are representative of the essential functions of this position.
The successful candidate:
- Works collaboratively with the Director of Related Services to share primary administrative responsibilities.
- Serves as a liaison and facilitator in sensitive and difficult situations involving special education issues with families and/or teams.
- Provides instructional leadership and technical expertise to special education coordinators, teacher consultants and special services staff members.
- Assists program administrators to evaluate the performance of certificated and classified staff members assigned within related services to include, but not limited to: school psychology, speech pathology, occupational/ physical therapy, adapted PE, assistive technology, blind/ visually-impaired, hard of hearing, and audiology.
- Assists the Director to prepare program budgets, annual reports and public documents.
- Facilitates and monitors special education professional development activities to meet district, state and federal compliance requirements.
- Develops, reviews and adjusts staffing assignments with the Director.
- Interviews and recommends for hire certificated and classified staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to understand vague and implicit instructions, be able to readily recall facts and details, handle conflict and make effective decisions under pressure.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with a qualified physical or mental disability.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
The Anchorage School District is an equal employment opportunity employer.