SOUTH DAKOTA TEACHER CERTIFICATION WITH ENDORSEMENT IN SUBJECT AREA.
A. Planning for Instruction.
1 Evaluates, selects and modifies resources and activities consistent with instructional activities.
2. Plans for learning needs and abilities of each student.
3 Prepares written lesson plans which correlate with specific instructional objectives.
4. Selects instructional methods and learning activities that are compatible with content, learning styles and student abilities.
5. Plans for cognitive levels of learning.
6. Develops extended and enriched activities to challenge students beyond the required curriculum.
7. Plans evaluation procedures consistent with instructional objectives.
B. Implementing Instruction.
1. Uses approved District curriculum as a guide for instruction.
2. Uses District approved textbooks.
3. Uses supplemental materials that relate to curriculum.
4. Includes elements of an effective lesson.
a. introduces the lesson
b. states the lesson objective/goal
c. teaches content
e. checks for understanding
f. uses guided practice
g. uses independent practice
h. summarizes the lesson
C. Uses Instructional Techniques Appropriate to the Lesson.
1. Considers learning styles, learning stages and learning needs.
2. Appropriately sequences content.
3. Uses questions to promote understanding.
4. Uses questions to promote higher level thinking skills.
5. Uses resource materials appropriate to lesson objectives.
6. Provides opportunities for application.
7. Stresses generalization, principle, or rule as a relationship between or among concepts, skills, or attitudes/interest.
8. Relates lesson content to prior or future learning.
9. Provides opportunities for students to participate actively and successfully.
a. appropriately varies activities
b. interacts with students in group formats as appropriate
c. solicits student participation
d. extends student’s responses/contributions
e. provides ample time for students to respond to teacher questions/solicitations and to consider content as it is presented
f. implements instruction at an appropriate level of difficulty
10. Adapts instruction for special needs students.
D. Develops and Enhances Positive Student Self-Concept and Attitude Towards Learning.
1. Respects and shows sensitivity to individual needs and concerns.
2. Provides opportunities for students to assume responsibility and develop independence.
3. Maintains a supportive environment.
a. avoids sarcasm and negative criticism
b. establishes a climate of courtesy and respect
c. encourages slow and reluctant students
d. establishes and maintains positive rapport with students.
4. Uses strategies to motivate students in learning.
a. relates content to student interests/experiences
b. emphasizes value/importance of the activity or content
c. challenges students
d. uses variation in voice, movement and pacing to focus attention during lesson
5. Establishes a trusting environment that fosters risk taking.
6. Establishes a culture of learning.
E. Evaluates and Provides Feedback on Student Progress During Instruction.
1. Assesses students’ needs.
2. Provides specific and immediate feedback related to student learning.
3. Asks questions that are understood by students.
4. Monitors students’ performance as they engage in learning activities.
5. Solicits responses or demonstrations from specific students for assessment purposes.
6. Reinforces correct responses/performances.
7. Provides corrective feedback/clarifies as appropriate.
8. Communicates learning expectations.
9. Re-teaches, when appropriate.
10. Uses techniques to check understanding and progress of students at regular intervals.
F. Organizes Classroom Materials and Manages Students.
1 Secures student attention, and checks to see if students are attending.
2. Uses administrative procedures and routines which facilitate instruction.
3. Gives clear administrative directions for classroom procedures or
4. Maintains seating arrangements/grouping appropriate for the activity
and the environment.
5. Has materials, aids, and facilities ready for use.
G. Manages Student Behavior.
1 Specifies expectations for class behavior
2. Uses techniques to prevent off-task behavior
a. uses techniques to redirect/stop inappropriate/disruptive behavior
b. applies rules consistently and fairly
c. reinforces desired behavior when appropriate
H. Maximizes Instructional Time.
1. Maximizes amount of time available for instruction.
a. begins promptly/avoids wasting time.
b. keeps students engaged
c. maintains appropriate pace
2. Manages student transitions effectively.
3. Manages instructional groups effectively.
I. Portrays Positive Self-concept and Attitude Toward Teaching.
1 Treats students in a professional teacher-student manner.
2. Displays enjoyment, humor, and enthusiasm for teaching and expects
students to enjoy learning.
3. Recognizes individual and cultural diversity of students.
4. Serves as a positive role model in the school environment.
5. Participates in school activities outside the classroom.
J. Participates in Ongoing Professional Growth.
1 Stays current in content taught.
2. Stays current in instructional methodology.
3. Incorporates technology.
K. Promotes the Education Profession.
1 Serves on building or District committees.
2. Supervises/participates in extracurricular activities.
3. Volunteers for extra duty assignments.
4. Participates in creative endeavors such as: innovative projects, instructional strategies, etc.
5. Participates in professional and/or community organizations.
L. Communicates Effectively and Professionally with Colleagues, Parents and Students.
1 Initiates communication with parents about student performance and/or behavior when appropriate.
2. Conducts parent-teacher conferences in accordance with District policy.
3. Reports student progress to parents and students.
4. Maintains confidentiality unless disclosure is required by law.
5. Demonstrates flexibility.
6. Develops and maintains supportive and cooperative relationships with colleagues.
M. Complies with Policies, Operating Procedures, and Requirements.
1 Follows District and building policies and procedures.
2. Performs assigned professional duties.
3. Demonstrates support of District goals.
4. Completes routine assigned tasks.
5. Completes required paperwork.
6. Monitors budget when appropriate.
7. Meets established timelines.
N. Performs Other Duties as Assigned by Immediate Supervisor.
Relay Services for Hearing Impaired: Dial 711, then the desired number.