1. Valid driver's license.
2. Valid State of Ohio school guidance counselor’s certificate.
3. Professional tact, diplomacy and presentation with administrators, staff, teachers, students, parents and the community.
4. Conscientious and assumes responsibility for own work performance.
5. Good health, high moral character and good attendance record.
6. Demonstrate enthusiasm and a sincere desire to aid all students.
Counsel and assist students with educational, personal, social, occupational, placement and related problems in planning and adjustment. Work with teachers in studying, diagnoses and understanding students; planning, conducting group guidance activities; utilizing community resources; and participating in inservice teachers’ education activities. Work with the administrative staff and other school personnel in planning, developing and conducting the total guidance program, curriculum study and research. Work with lay groups, parents and individuals in coordinating school and community resources, and activities which contribute to the improvement of pupil personnel services.
1. Encourage students to evaluate alternatives, formulate realistic goals and become increasingly self-directive; help students understand themselves and enhance positive self-concepts.
2. Maintain acceptable non-punitive relationships with students and respect their confidences.
3. Maintain a confidential record for each student recording data and subject of each conference and other pertinent data (Under no circumstances is this file made available to other students).
4. Provide an orientation program for all students new to the building.
5. Introduce a variety of occupational areas to all students.
6. Supervise and coordinate career program for all students; is in charge of ICP folders.
7. Instruct students in “how to study”, “peer relationships”, “getting along with adults”, and other appropriate developmental areas, as appropriate for grade level of students.
8. Take referrals, administer screening tests and assist the school psychologist, nurse, administrators and other personnel whenever possible.
9. Provide preventative guidance materials and/or activities for classrooms.
10. Counsel with students as referred by their teacher, as requested by the student and on the basis of obvious need. A conference will be held with the teacher or principal when deemed appropriate by the counselor.
11. Recognize behavior patterns that may be symptomatic of educational or emotional problems.
12. Explore reasons for deviation of behavior in cases which have been referred to the principal for serious disciplinary action.
13. Consult with parents and school staff about students’ attendance, achievement and problem areas.
14. Assist the principal with parent notification of student failures, summer school options and retention.
15. Act as consultant for teachers and parents.
16. Maintain liaison with community agencies and referral services.
17. Conduct, supervise and interpret the group testing program with the school staff.
18. Provide applications for post-secondary education admissions, scholarships and financial aid grants; assist students in completion of forms; oversee transcript preparation, as appropriate for level of students.
19. Write recommendations for students applying for post-secondary education admissions or job placements; assist in job placements, as appropriate for level of students.
20. Conduct an annual follow-up study of school graduates.
21. Provide preventative guidance activities for classrooms.
22. Assist the principal with the development of the master schedule for the school.
23. Conduct research projects as requested by the principal and/or the superintendent such as follow-up studies of former pupils, standardized test results, etc.
24. Encourage an atmosphere of emotional security and personal growth for children.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Serve as a role model for students in how to conduct themselves as citizens and as responsible, intelligent human beings.
2. Help instill in students the belief in and practice of ethical principals and democratic values.
3. Conduct other duties related to the guidance counselor’s duties as assigned by the principal.