AN EQUAL RIGHTS AND OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER
** PLEASE APPLY IF INTERESTED IN ANY POSITIONS WHICH MAY BECOME AVAILABLE DUE TO THE DOMINO EFFECT.
EFFECTIVE FOR THE 2012/2013 SCHOOL YEAR
DRAFT REVISION 3/26/12
1. Teaching certificate preferred.
2. CPR training preferred.
3. Minimum three years varsity basketball head coaching experience preferred.
4. Experience with successful winning program/post season coaching experience preferred.
5. Ability and evidence of being able to transition student athletes to the next competitive level.
6. Experience in the design of offensive and defensive basketball strategy.
7. Strong understanding of all levels including middle school, 9th grade, junior varsity, and varsity basketball programs.
8. Demonstration of strong knowledge of all sport related rules that pertain to the safety and welfare of the student athlete that are either school district, PIAA, or National Federation related or mandated.
9. Such alternatives to the above as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
REPORTS TO: Building Principal and Director of Athletics and Student Programs
JOB GOALS: To provide students an opportunity to participate in a competitive setting that will foster physical skills, teamwork, a sense of worth and competence, a knowledge and understanding of the pleasures associated with the specific sport and the principles of fair play. Competitive athletic programs will also foster school spirit in a positive manner.
1. Instruct players in the fundamentals, the rules of the game, proper training techniques and safety procedures.
2. Design and supervise all practices and games.
3. Strong organization and management of the entire basketball program including middle school, 9th grade, junior varsity and varsity programs.
4. Promote good human relations within student body, parents, faculty, and community.
5. Promote a high academic standard and establish academic supports for student athletes.
6. Plan comprehensive pre-season and post-season conditioning programs.
7. Willingness to take leadership role to promote high ideals of sportsmanship, appropriate student athlete behavior, a healthy lifestyle, and to serve as a positive role model for the student athletes.
8. Establish a procedure to inform student-athletes and parents of the discipline policies and academic requirements regarding student activities set forth by the Millcreek Township School District.
9. Develop each team member to their skill potential.
10. Promote effective and positive communication with student-athletes, parents, administration, and entire basketball coaching staff.
11. Promote a team concept and vision at all program levels while placing an emphasis on positive sportsmanship.
12. Effective, positive, and responsible communication to the student athlete, parents, and media.
13. Ability to relate/communicate in a positive manner to the student athlete.
14. Willingness to commit time in the off-season and regular season to improve the basketball program and individual players.
15. Acceptance and execution of responsibilities/duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and Student Programs.
16. Adhere to guidelines and procedures set forth by the PIAA.
17. Maintain continued contact with administration/athletic office with regard to all aspects of the basketball program including scheduling, transportation, budget, safety, building and grounds facilities and the selection and monitoring of coaching staff.
18. Monitor and maintain a safe and secure athletic facility.
19. Willingness to promote and market student athletes to play/compete at the collegiate level.
20. Responsible, care, inventory, and issuing of equipment.
21. Create and maintain records/statistics on team and individual team members.
22. Implement all board policies including fundraising, season calendar, discipline, attendance, eligibility, and booster groups.
23. Develop goals prior to season and submit for approval to the Director of Athletics and Student Programs.
24. Submit season summaries following each season to the Director of Athletics and Student Programs.
25. Any other duties as assigned by the Superintendent or his designee.
1. Ability to sit and talk and hear.
2. Ability to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and move quickly when
necessary to promote student learning and/or safety.
3. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
4. Ability to push items of 50 lbs such as pushing children in a wheelchair or moving/rearranging furniture.
1. Ability to speak clearly and distinctly.
2. Auditory acuity to be able to use telephone.
3. Visual acuity to read correspondence and computer screen.
1. Indoor and outdoor environments.
1. Ability to work as a member of a team.
2. Must be courteous.
3. Must be cooperative, congenial, service oriented, and promote these qualities in the building.
4. Ability to work in an environment with frequent interruptions.
1. Ability to follow written and verbal directions.
2. Ability to demonstrate good written and verbal skills.
3. Ability to effectively present information in one on one and small group situations to students, staff, and other employees of the organization.
4. Ability to read, write and do computations.
5. Ability to work independently and make work-related decisions.
6. Ability to complete assigned tasks with minimal supervision.
7. Ability to exercise good judgment in prioritizing tasks, and problem solving.
8. Ability to use correct grammar, sentence structure and spelling.
9. Ability to communicate effectively at all organizational levels.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disability (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding the position and additional duties may be assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Within ten (10) weeks after the last athletic event, supplemental contracts will either be officially re-offered to those holding them or will be officially opened to new applicants.
EVALUATION: Self-evaluation within two (2) weeks of season submitted to Assistant Principal/Director of Athletics. Annual reemployment evaluation within forty-five (45) days of end of season.