Custodian Job Description
Purpose: To provide students and staff with a safe, attractive and clean place in which to learn and work.
Responsible to: Custodial Supervisor
Salary: Range E
1. Demonstrated aptitude or competence for assigned responsibilities.
2. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the custodial supervisor may find appropriate and acceptable.
1. Keep buildings and premises neat and clean.
2. Monitor building temperature to provide temperatures appropriate to the season and to ensure economical usage.
3. Clear snow from walkways and steps during inclement weather.
4. Ensure that all exit doors are open during building hours and locked after hours.
5. Clean classrooms, dust furniture, sweep, mop, and vacuum corridors.
6. Clean and disinfect rest rooms and drinking fountains.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
1. Requires prolonged standing and considerable walking on level surfaces as well as climbing up and down stairs.
2. Requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, push or pull heavy objects or materials.
3. Requires stooping, bending and reaching.
4. Must be able to work in noisy and crowded environments.
5. Must work in and around chemical odors.
6. Must maintain appropriate levels of personal hygiene and sanitation.
7. Must follow district guideline regarding dress code.
8. Must work with cleaning chemicals, solvents and disinfectants.
9. Requires the full range of motion with neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, back, torso, knees and ankles.
1. Maintain the cleanliness of building and premises.
2. Make sure the building is secure after hours.
3. Report maintenance concerns to the appropriate supervisor.
4. Maintain proper sanitary and practices.
5. See that district policies are observed at all times.
6. Adhere to all district health and safety policies including the Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan.
7. Report any unsafe practices or improper behavior by anyone in the building.
furniture or equipment within the building premises as required for
various activities and as directed by the custodial supervisor or head
such yard keeping chores as grass cutting, trimming shrubs, and
maintaining the school grounds in a safe and attractive condition.
10. Keep floors in a clean and attractive condition and in a good state of preservation.
11. Clean chalkboards, perform minor building repairs, report needed maintenance repairs to head custodian.
on school premises during duty hours and during non-school hours when
the use of the building has been authorized and the custodial
supervisor requires his/her attendance.
responsibility for opening and closing the building each school day and
for determining that all doors and windows are locked and lights (other
than for security) are turned off.
14. Keep enough chemicals and supplies on hand to perform daily duties.
15. Conduct an ongoing program of general maintenance.
16. Other duties assigned by the custodial supervisor, which are consistent with the general requirements of the position.