- Illinois Type #73 Pupil Personnel Services
- Registered Nurse licensure, Illinois
- Illinois Certification as a Vision and Hearing Screening
- Computer literacy and competency in use of existing
- Prior Professional nursing experience, preferably
pediatric, adolescent, community or mental health nursing,
and health program management
Director of Pupil Personnel Services
To coordinate a comprehensive school
health program including the delivery of services to students
and staff members in order to enhance health and wellness in
the school community. Duties are to be performed in
accordance with standards of professional school nurse
practice, district/state board of education policies and
procedures and Illinois State law regarding nursing
1. Participates with administration and
school staff in developing and implementing a comprehensive
school health program.
2. Assists in the development and
maintenance of school health policy.
3. Conducts and/or supervises school
health screening in vision, hearing, growth and development,
immunization status and other physical defects.
4. Identifies student health problems;
making referrals for their diagnosis, treatment and
remediation; and provides for follow-up regarding the
5. Recommends modification of school
programs for any student who requires a change because of
health deficit and develops health care plans when students
need special physical health care procedures to be provided
6. Establishes a communicable disease
prevention and control program.
7. Assesses the health status of students
and provides health counseling (e.g. diet, exercise) for
students, parents and school staff.
8. Administers and/or supervises
medication and treatments given in school.
9. Provides crisis intervention for
students and/or staff in the event of sudden illness or
10. Acts as liason between home, school,
community health agencies and the private medical sector.
11. Participates in the identification,
evaluation and placement of students in special education
programs, e.g. as a referring agent, a consultant to parents,
teachers, etc. and/or as a member of multidisciplinary team,
pursuant to the provisions of special education. (23 Adm.
12. Collects and analyzes health related
data (e.g. immunization records, medical records, incidence
of specific diseases) and makes recommendations based upon
13. Maintains accurate school records in
accord with the Illinois Student Records Act (Ill. Rev. Stat.
1985, Ch. 122, par. 50-1 et seq.) and 23 Ill. Adm. Code 375
14. Attends professional meetings and
conferences regarding health services and curriculum.
15. Performs such other tasks and assumes
responsibilities as may be assigned by the
Performance of this job will be evaluated
in accordance with provisions of the Board of Education
policy and contractual requirements for certificated
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
General work schedule to follow the
negotiated teacher contract.
Part-time, pro-rated certified school nurse work year and
schedule as assigned by the Superintendent of Schools and
approved by the Board of Education.