Duties & Responsibilities: (Essential Functions of Position, Major Responsibilities, Summary of Key Duties, Special Assignments, Relationships)
Rate of pay: Probation rate - $ 10.56 Reg. rate - $12.22
1. Prepares foods by using standardized recipes, accepted food production methods and appropriate school kitchen equipment.
2. May develop new standardized recipes using accepted food production methods and appropriate school kitchen equipment.
3. Safely operates all school kitchen equipment.
4. Supervises employees working in the area and assists in directing the work of other staff.
5. Assists the manager in preparing orders for food and supplies.
6. Assists in control of food and supply costs with stock rotation, proper storage and handling, portion control and use of excess
7. May assist with serving and kitchen cleanup.
8. Maintains standards of sanitation, safety, production, service, and food quality.
9. Has the ability to communicate and work with fellow employees and supervisors.
10. Inspects equipment periodically, recommending needed repairs or replacement.
11. Maintains good public relations with students, parents, faculty, and the community.
12. May assist in finalizing the menu plan and adjust food production schedules accordingly.
13. Completes and maintains food production records.
14. Ensures proper food presentation and quality for our customers.
15. Has the ability to plan workload, forecast requirements and coordinate food production.
16. Assists manager with production and service of catered functions.
17. Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Physical Requirements of Position: (HBV Yes No)
· The Head Cook is physically able to work in a standing position for prolonged periods and to walk much of the time during the day; is able to work in very warm surroundings; has manual dexterity to handle knives and other pieces of kitchen equipment, and is able to lift materials weighing at least 46 pounds. May be required to climb stairs.
Special Qualification Desired: (Personal Qualities, Education, Skills Needed, Experience, Etc.)
· EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE - The School Food Service Head Cook shall possess competence in the above stated areas of responsibility. It is required that the Head Cook have a high school diploma or GED and complete the Basic Food Service Course, Food Service Safety and Sanitation Class, Food Preparation, Service Merchandising, Interpersonal Relationships and Menu Planning OR Nutrition Education Class.