A competent Special Education Teacher understands growth and development, demonstrates knowledge of what is to be taught. The teacher must have experience in implementing ABA (Applied Behavioral Analysis). The Special Education Teacher stimulates the independence of each student as a learner; effectively assess student needs and progress, and plans instruction to achieve selected objectives, involving those appropriate for exceptional students. The Special Education Teacher accomplishes these objectives through effective communication with students, parents, and colleagues and through the use of appropriate techniques and materials in a positive climate where time, space and equipment are effectively organized for instruction and specific ABA methodology is implemented. In addition, the Special Education teacher meets professional responsibility for continuing growth and fosters cooperative involvement with parents, teachers, consultants and the community.
· Demonstrates ability to implement ABA.
· Demonstrates facility in the skills of the reading, writing and mathematics.
· Demonstrates knowledge of the subject to be taught.
· Demonstrates knowledge of human growth and development as it relates to the teaching-learning process.
· Plans instruction to achieve selected objectives; understands data and data collection relevant to ABA.
· Effectively implements instructional plan and use appropriate instructional techniques.
· Effectively communicates with students.
· Helps students develop positive self-concepts.
· Facilitates the independence of the student as learner, understands appropriateness of time with non-disabled.
· Effectively organizes time, space, materials and equipment for instruction.
· Effectively assesses student needs and progress; accurately collects and graphs ABA data.
· Effectively meets the needs of exceptional students.
· Establishes a positive learning environment.
· Meets professional responsibilities.
· Encourages and maintains the cooperative involvement and support of regular staff parents and the people in the community.
· Able to supervise Educational Assistants.
· Ability to maintain pertinent data and analyze it; particularly ABA data.
· Able to implement exclusionary practices/co-teaching.
· Connecticut Teaching Certificate in special education.
· Record of demonstrated superior performance as a special education teacher.
· Demonstrated knowledge of the field.
· Ability to solve problems and execute responsibilities.
· Capacity to communicate effectively with students, staff members and parents.
· Excellent organizational skills.
· High standard of ethics, honesty and integrity.
· Willingness to assume extra responsibilities.
· Experience with ABA.
186 days per year.
The salary for this position is determined in accordance with the provisions of the current teacher contract.
PROCEDURE FOR FILING APPLICATION
The following are needed:
- Letter of Interest
- All applicants must complete an online application.
- Official transcripts (graduate and undergraduate).
- Current letters of recommendation (three (3) suggested).
- Proof of Connecticut certification.
Note: Applicants from within the school district need only supply a letter of interest as instructed in #1.