Southeast Island School District (SISD)
is seeking applicants for a principal position at one or more of its K-12
schools. Teacher housing may be available; excellent health benefits and a
housing stipend are included. SISD schools are located in small, remote towns
on Prince of Wales Island, Kosciusko Island, and Baranof Island, deep in
Southeast Alaska with excellent outdoor opportunities. Families within SISD
communities are supportive, with students who appreciate teacher efforts. SISD
has extensive technological support for students. Sites have access to
kayaks, bikes and a competitive archery program. SISD students are very
successful and are active and engaged in their learning.
TO APPLY: submit a cover letter,
resume, and letters of reference to Chris Page Haufe via email or fax (emailed
applications are preferred). Send your information to:
REPORTS TO: Superintendent
JOB PURPOSE: Provide educational leadership, supervision, and
effective management of the school(s).
SUPERVISES: Certified staff and classified staff.
1. Master’s Degree or higher from an accredited college
2. Valid Alaska Type B Administrative certification and
valid Type A Teaching certification.
3. At least five (5) years successful experience in
teaching; administrative and rural experience preferred.
4. Willingness to perform various job-related duties, as
situations require. A strong sense of teamwork and the ability to work
cooperatively with others is essential.
5. Effective communication skills with the ability to
develop and maintain effective working relationships with administrators,
school staff, and community.
6. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
1. Assist the Superintendent in the direction,
administration and coordination of the district’s educational programs and
2. Maintains continuous supervision, appraisal, and
evaluation of the staff and the educational program.
3. Provides educational leadership in the development of
curriculum, school improvement initiatives, staff development, and improvement
4. Directs/monitors the special education program and
implementation of student’s Individualized Educational Programs (I.E.P.).
5. Coordinates the activities of the personnel within the
school directly concerned with the instructional program including but not
limited to: teachers, counselors, specialists, non-certified employees.
6. Fosters good interpersonal relations with students,
staff, and parents.
7. Holds faculty and other meetings as necessary for the
efficient functioning of the school. Actively participates in ASC meetings. Prepares
and implements an effective system of communications to provide information to,
from, and between staff, parents, and stakeholders.
8. Available to staff and parents for conferences, and is
an active participant when needed.
9. Provides for the proper and best use of the school
facilities by initiating requests for maintenance repairs, and proposals for
10. Adheres to school budget in accordance with the
11. Attends School Board meetings and prepares such
reports as the Superintendent may request.
12. Develops and maintains a continuous program of public
relations by which the educational program may be clearly interpreted.
13. Travels to remote sites, often for multiple days, when
14. Performs other duties as assigned by the
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Contact Chris Page Haufe at the Southeast Island
School District Office: 907-828-8254