Salary: Based on the MCPS Teacher Salary Scale
Commensurate With Experience and Qualifications, and Negotiation of the Total Number of Contractual Work Days Above the Standard
Teacher Contract (i.e. during Summer Break)
*Plus Additional Athletic Director Stipend
Reports To: MHS Principal
To provide overall leadership, supervisor and coordination of all sports programs division-wide.
Applicant must have:
1. Valid Virginia teacher or administrator certification
2. Previous experience as a coach is desirable
3. Knowledge of the overall operation of the athletic program
Schedules all athletic contests and scholastic bowl matches, practice times and locations, for the Elementary, Middle, and High Schools
Schedules all athletic contests and scholastic bowl matches, practice times and locations, for the Elementary, Middle, and High Schools.
- Hires all officials, coaches, and support personnel for athletic events.
- Collaborates with the maintenance department to ensure that athletic grounds and facilities are properly maintained. This position may require groundskeeping responsibilities.
- Will assist in the supervision of the Physical Education programs division-wide.
- Will serve as the primary school division decision-maker for all athletic events.
- Will serve as the administrator for MCPS athletic events if the principal or assistant principal cannot attend.
- Will collaborate with the community and school booster organizations to ensure that morale and support for athletics is high at all times.
- Will ensure the safety and security of students, staff, and spectators at athletic events.
- Will provide primary oversight for all division-wide extra-curricular activities delegated by division and school administrators.
- Maintains current knowledge of all VHSL rules and regulations and communicates them with division and school administration.
- Evaluates all coaches and athletic programs annually.
- Maintains an annual budget for the athletic department and regularly reports revenues and expenditures to division and school administration.
- Purchases all necessary equipment for the athletic department within the funds allotted annually in the MCPS and MHS athletic budget.
- Creates maintenance and replacement cycles for all uniforms and equipment.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to effectively develop partnerships and relationships with parents, community members, and local businesses.
- Provides a clear vision for improving athletics in Middlesex.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
While the following tasks are necessary for the work of the unit, they are not an essential part of the purpose of this position and may also be performed by other unit members.
· Performs other duties as directed
Data Utilization: Requires the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize and/or analyze data and/or information. Ability to create data analysis.
Human Interaction: Requires the ability to maintain a cordial and effective relationship with visitors and clients.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools, and Materials Utilization: Requires supervisory capacity of equipment, machinery, tools and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
Mathematical Aptitude: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; may require ability to utilize principles of fractions and/or interpret graphs.
Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to problem resolution.
Physical Ability: Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 50 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require visual perception and discrimination. Some tasks require oral communications ability.
Environmental Factors: Tasks are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, animals/wildlife, toxic/poisonous agents, violence, disease, or pathogenic substances.
The Middlesex County Public School District will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to allow them to perform the essential functions of the job when such individuals request an accommodation.
Performance on this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of personnel.