General Summary: Coaches are responsible for serving as the head coach for an athletic program, supporting and upholding a philosophy of athletics consistent with that of the SPSD Athletic Department, and organizing and conducting practices, conditioning programs, competitive events and fund-raising events.
- Organize and conduct practices, conditioning programs and competitive events
- Coach must attend and perform coaching duties in all assigned games/contests
- Work with Athletic staff to make appropriate arrangements for home games, including set-up, officials, game management, equipment and hospitality for visiting teams
- Work with Athletic staff to make appropriate arrangements for away games, including travel rosters, transportation, meals, etc.
- Display good sportsmanship in relationship with students, staff, officials and opponents
- Instruct with sound principles and expert skills in the specified sport
- Follow philosophy of athletics consistent with that of the SPSD Athletic Deparment
- Follow sports rules governing specific sport
- Recruit prospective student athletes to grow the Athletics program
- Maintain up-to-date information of sport regulations, rules changes, MSHAA policies
- Determine goals and objectives prior to the start of the season
- Maintain current eligibility list and team roster
- Ensure the return of equipment and uniforms by athletes, complete inventory at the end of the season
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Teaching Certificate preferred
- Previous experience working with youth
- Previous experience in a coaching position preferred
All coaches not currently employed by the Saginaw Public School District MUST BE HIRED BY PCMI prior to beginning employment with the Saginaw Public School District.