SUMMARY: Responsible for planning instruction and/or adoption of the education program to enable students to benefit from educational experiences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned.
· Builds trust and confidence with students.
· Plans curriculum, lessons, and special education programs and teaching methods.
· Maintains the physical environment of the classroom for organization and presentation purposes.
· Encourages good citizenship.
· Instructs individuals and groups on Special education skill areas.
· Monitors student progress in and outside resource room.
· Modifies curriculum as necessary.
· Maintains contact with parents of students.
· Evaluates student progress based on work output and observation, determines goals, objectives and directions.
· Prepares report cards, educational records, IEPC forms, classroom observation records, and other forms.
· Participates in building and district-wide Special Education Committee Meetings.
· Administers testing evaluations.
· Works closely with other teachers to help the students maintain satisfactory classwork, homework, and behavior.
· Determines specific learning problems, skill deficiencies, or social adjustment difficulties of students and initiates remediation programs in these areas.
· Makes available a wide range of teaching materials and equipment, including reading materials at many levels, instructional games, resource materials, and the like.
· Counsels students in identifying and dealing with their academic and social problems.
· Provides opportunities for students to explore life and career goals.
· Helps parents to understand the specific problems of students with disabilities and the goals and operation of the program, apprising them of problems and progress.
· Keeps abreast of new developments in the field by reading journals and publications, attending professional society meetings, seminars, and the like, and discussing problems of mutual interest with others in the field.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Bachelors degree in education. Two (2) years experience in Special Education preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid Michigan Teaching certificate with one or more special education endorsements.