POSTING FOR HIGH SCHOOL ACTIVITIES DIRECTOR
POSTING DATE: June 8, 2012
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 15, 2012 at 4:00pm
INTERVIEW DATES: June 20th - June 22nd, 2012
START DATE: July 1, 2012
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Per Principal Contract
CONTACT: Human Resources
DISTRICT WEB SITE: http://www.sowashco.k12.mn.us
Position: High School Activities Director
Location: East Ridge High School
The South Washington County School district includes four St. Paul suburbs of Cottage Grove, Newport, St. Paul Park and Woodbury as well as portions of three other communities. Our district includes approximately 100,000 residents with 17,000 students enrolled in our schools. We have fifteen (K-5) elementary schools, four (6-8) middle schools, three (9-12) high schools and an alternative learning center.
Primary Job Functions:
1. Develop and maintain an overall effective program for students in co-curricular activities to include athletics and performing and fine arts.
2. Instill in students, staff, and participants high levels of respect for fair play and sportsmanship.
3. Oversee and manage the activity budget and additional flow through monies (fees, gate receipts, etc.).
4. Coordinate and schedule the school calendar for athletics and activities practices, rehearsals and events.
5. Coordinate with municipalities and other schools the use of ice arenas, pools and off-site fields.
6. Recommend to Principal to hire, supervise and evaluate coaches, directors and advisors.
7. Coordinate facility usage with Community Education programs.
8. Work with Buildings and Grounds to maintain safe, aesthetically pleasing facilities and grounds that meet all competition and safety requirements.
9. Conduct and coordinate seasonal eligibility meetings with parents and participants.
10. Coordinate officials and transportation for athletics and activities.
11. Communicate frequently and proactively with students, parents, local, district, media and community organizations in relation to school activities, using the best available technology and district resources.
12. Coordinate and schedule supervision and security of all in-house co-curricular events.
13. Implement ISD 833, Minnesota State High School League and Suburban East Conference rules and policies.
14. Attend meetings and represent the interest of the school and district, and perform duties assigned by the Suburban East Conference and Minnesota State High School League.
15. Coordinate after school activity groups.
16. Communicate with and inform coaches and advisors on policy, schedule and other changes and updates.
17. Develop and regularly update an Athletic/Activity Policy Handbook for staff, students and parents.
18. Prepare all required reports (e.g., Title IX, participation, budgets).
19. Prepare and approve vouchers for payment of personnel and purchases.
20. Prepare and recommend Capital Outlay and Activities Budget to the Principal/District Administrators.
21. Schedule and lead coaching and activity staff meetings.
22. Serve as liaison between high school programs and community booster groups.
23. Assist with organization and management of school assemblies.
24. Promote and arrange school pride activities and recognition for participants.
25. Serve as mediator for parents, students and coaches/advisors as circumstances require.
26. Perform such other duties and assume other responsibilities as may be assigned by the building Principal and/or Superintendent/designee.
1. Current Minnesota K-12 or Secondary Principal license
2. Previous experience as a coach or activity advisor
3. Strong organizational and communications skills
4. Exemplary ethics and personal integrity
5. High energy and strong belief in the value of high school activities
6. Communicates with students, parents, co-workers, supervisors and the community in a positive and responsive way that is consistently welcoming and enhances effective work relationships.
7. Demonstrates an appreciation of diversity in all interactions and job functions.
Strongly Desired Qualifications
- Supervisory and managerial experience, including planning and budgeting
- Experience working with a varied public, student, parent and community groups
- Demonstrated leadership and follow-through
· Letter of Application citing qualifications and reasons for interest in the position
· Current Resume
· Completed District 833 Administrative Application, available on the SWCS website
· Copy of current MN licensure and three letters of professional reference
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER