VACANCY: Valley View Community Unit School District 365U is seeking a Director of 6-12 Literacy and Social Studies for the 2012-2013 school year.
BEGINNING DATE: July 1, 2012
· Candidates must hold or be eligible for State of Illinois Type 75 Administrative Certificate.
· Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university, with training in administration, supervision, curriculum development and instruction.
· Minimum of three years of successful experience in teaching.
· Successful experience in administrative and supervisory fields.
· Experience and knowledge in relation to systemic improvement processes and quality criteria.
· Proven experience as a collaborative leader and motivator who possesses excellent interpersonal skills.
· An administrative leadership style based on effective human relations and a continuous improvement model.
· Excellent communication, presentation, and listening skills.
· Compassion and enthusiasm for effective team leadership to motivate high standards and continuous improvement.
· Demonstrated knowledge of “best practices” in curriculum, instruction and assessment.
· Understanding of the Illinois Learning Standards.
· Demonstrated ability to reach consensus with diverse groups of people.
- Assist in the analysis of academic data that leads to the identification of program areas that could benefit from participating in a continuous cycle of improvement.
- Assist in the research and interpretation of federal and state laws that regulate the educational rights of learners, and coordinate the adjustments in VVSD’s instructional programs that these regulations, as they change, could cause.
- From the analysis of student academic performance data and, in coordination with the rest of the Educational Services Department and the Professional Development Office, determine the learning needs of all VVSD teaching staff, when it pertains to literacy and social studies, coordinate and/or facilitate the meeting of these needs.
- Represent VVSD learners in the district’s instruction, materials and curriculum discussion and adoption processes. Collaborate with the rest of the ESD staff in the selection and/or development of effective and appropriate curriculum, instructional materials, instruction and interventions to be used in the literacy and social studies classrooms.
- Consult with Assistant Superintendent for 6-12 Curriculum and Instruction, Principals, and Department Chair, on an ongoing basis to ensure coordination and articulation of the District’s 6-12 literacy, social studies programs.
- Lead and support VVSD parental outreach efforts, in conjunction with building principals help coordinate events and seek new ways to utilize these relationships, in coordination with schools, to increase student achievement.
- Work in partnership with the Director Professional Development and school administrators in the professional development of certified staff.
- Work in partnership with building administration in relationship to professional observation and evaluation of certificated instructional staff.
- Work in partnership with the school administrators in the screening and recommendation of employment process of teaching candidates.
- Submit a quarterly report to the Assistant Superintendent of 6-12 Curriculum and Instruction detailing the status of all initiatives, programs and responsibilities.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the staff in the ESD department in all aspects involved in the coordination of the district-wide administration of ISAT and PSAE. Work with VVSD I-Series personnel in the monitoring and adjusting of student information (enrollment, programmatic, demographic, etc) in AS400 and ISBE’s Student Information System to ensure proper student data reporting throughout the year and for standardized state assessment taking and reporting purposes.
- Support the monthly, quarterly and final expenditure report processes for local, state and federal funds assigned to the VVSD Educational Programs to ensure expenditures are declared appropriately and on time.
- Collect, sort and format frequent and comprehensive overtime student academic achievement data that can be used in the evaluation of instructional and programs effectiveness. Be responsible in conjunction with building administration in the identification of instructional, curriculum, material and program improvements and their implementation.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Superintendent of 6-12 Curriculum and Instruction.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work year for this position is 12 months. Salary for this position is regionally competitive. Valley View offers excellent fringe benefits, including life, health and dental insurance.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applicants should apply on line at www.vvsd.org and attach a letter of application with a resume and three (3) letters of recommendation to Sharon Hawks, Executive Director for Human Resources, Valley View School District 365U, 755 Dalhart Avenue, Romeoville, Illinois 60446. Internal candidates should submit an online employment transfer using the District’s intranet and forward an updated resume to the Human Resources Department.
SELECTION PROCEDURE: The deadline for receiving applications is Open Until Filled. Interviews with selected applicants will be held as soon as practicable after the deadline date.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER