POSITION: Director of Nutrition Services
Independent Tier I
HOURS: Full-Time,12 Month, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Assistant Superintendent of Operations
COMPENSATION: Salary schedule based on previous experience and education
Provide leadership to Nutrition Service employees in meeting mandated nutritional guidelines and identified menu preferences of students, parents and other departmental customers. Develop appropriate strategies to meet departmental goals and objectives for nutritional content, service levels, budget development, fiscal accountability and human resource management that are in alignment with the strategic plan of the school district.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
Departmental Leadership and Site Management
1. Manage the complete operations of District 833 Nutrition Services.
2. Develop, review, revise and communicate policies and procedures so that each Nutrition Services employee has access to the information and understands how to perform their duties and responsibilities.
3. Establish and maintain a central office and site staffing model that promotes the efficient conduct of department operations.
4. Perform frequent visits to site kitchens to observe the methods of operations in each site, promote collegiality, and provide opportunity for exchange of information.
5. Conduct regular District Staff Team Meetings to foster communication, share ideas and coordinate the management of Nutrition Services.
6. Ensure the Free & Reduced Applications program and Claims Management Systems are administered in an accurate and timely fashion
7. Identify Nutrition Services facility space and equipment needs and plan for replacement and renovation in conjunction with the Facilities Department.
Human Resource Management
1. Create a staffing and retention strategy that provides an appropriate level of qualified employees to perform required tasks, to include: recruitment, orientation, training, performance management, evaluation and feedback
2. Oversee the daily staffing and scheduling of employees, floaters and substitutes.
3. Ensure a Job Description is developed for each position within Nutrition Services.
4. Provide conflict resolution processes to teach and promote mutual respect.
5. Manage labor relations in conjunction with district human resource department including participation in contract negotiation, grievance resolution and termination where warranted.
6. Oversee the process of conducting Performance Appraisals of all Cook Managers, Trainers and Central Office Staff on an annual basis.
7. Ensure the reporting of Nutrition Service employee data is managed to meet federal, state, county and District needs.
Budget Development & Fiscal Accountability
1. Develop an annual Nutrition Services Budget in alignment with District 833 policies. Present the budget to the School Board for approval.
2. Establish and monitor financial reporting systems against the budget for the State Department including end of school year reporting. Work in cooperation with the District 833 Finance Department and the District 833 Food & Nutrition Services staff to develop reports on breakfast, lunch, milk and a la carte financial performance.
3. Oversee the production of Manager Site Reports and Summary Management Reports on a regular (at least quarterly) basis.
4. Ensure financial information is provided to Site Cook Managers on a monthly basis and to the Involvement Team as needed.
5. Ensure internal accountability to the budget, reconciling and resolving any variances.
6. Develop and implement plans to maximize revenues and minimize expenses.
7. Establish and recommend meal prices to the School Board.
8. Ensure the Payroll Management System is administered accurately and in a timely fashion. Approve each payroll prior to submission to the Payroll Department.
9. Ensure State and Federal Reimbursement Calculations are verified prior to submission to the State and Federal Governments.
Menu Planning & Nutritional Content
1. Ensure menu analysis is performed on all menus to make sure they meet state and federal nutrition guidelines.
2. Establish a process to promote staff participation in the selection and review of new menu items to include: product availability, recipe development, recipe sampling and testing, production costing, and nutritional analysis.
3. Coordinate the incorporation of recipe and menu content into the Nutrition Services information database system, Nutrikids.
Other duties as assigned
JOB SPECIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, LICENSE, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES):
1. Master’s Degree in Food / Nutrition Business, Dietetics, Hotel Restaurant Management, Business Administration or closely related field.
2. Five years experience performing the primary functions of the job.
3. Verifiable experience in leadership, management, supervision and teamwork processes.
4. Knowledge of nutrition standards, dietetics, large scale food service production.
5. Verifiable experience in budget development, food and labor cost controls, state and federal reporting, and financial management.
6. Intermediate proficiency in business application software: word processing, spreadsheet, databases and Food & Nutrition Services applications.
7. Demonstrated project management skills.
8. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
9. Excellent Customer Service skills required including a strong orientation towards clients and partners, and teamwork.
10. Prompt, regular and reliable attendance.
11. Communicates with students, parents, co-workers, supervisors, and the community in a positive and responsive way that is consistently welcoming and enhances effective work relationships.
12. Demonstrates an appreciation of diversity in all interactions and job functions.
1. Five years experience in a K-12 school district with multiple buildings serving students in elementary, middle and high school settings.
2. Experience and expertise with Nutrikids inventory and menu planning module
3. Membership in local, state and national professional food service associations
4. Prior experience implementing a continuous improvement strategy to guide departmental decision making.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: July 1, 2012 .
POSTING ENDS: May 4, 2012 at 4:00 pm