Adult Training Program (ATP) Classroom
General Description Of Position:
Assist special education with daily instructional and non-instructional classroom management activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the classroom teacher with implementation of each student's Individual Education Program involving development and implementation of instruction, behavioral and therapeutic activities.
- Attend weekly staff and team meetings and other meetings as appropriate and requested.
- Carry out instructional support and training activities with students under the direction of the teacher in school setting, on Community Based Instruction (CBI) and on Work Placements.
- Assist in planning and implementation of educational activities. The Teacher Assistant, as directed by the teacher, will be responsible for the supervision of the student(s) and will direct, assist and instruct the student(s) as appropriate.
- Maintain student behavior through appropriate and approved behavioral interventions and approved techniques.
- Assist students in meeting self-help, health and behavior needs including toileting and personal care needs.
- Assist with maintaining classroom organization (supplies, materials, other).
- Assist in the preparation of instructional materials for teaching and for display in the classroom.
- Independently lead small group activities.
- Assist instructional staff in the supervision of students while loading and unloading of students on the buses, in gym and on the playground.
- Regularly lift 50 lb. individually and/or push over 100 lb. students.
- Understand and be aware of medical needs of students and following medical protocol under the supervision of a nurse as appropriate.
- Implement behavior management programs and techniques and maintain documentation of student progress relative to IEP goals and objectives.
- Maintain classroom including management of required forms and records.
- Sanitize classroom, equipment and other areas as assigned.
- Maintain regular consistent attendance and punctuality.
- Maintain a professional personal appearance.
- Adhere to district health and safety procedures.
- Adhere to Board policies.
- Maintain confidentiality.
Minimum Professional Qualifications:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Two years experience as a teacher assistant and/or evidence of advanced related training at a degree institution whose special education instructional aide training program has been approved by the department.
- Must take and pass the WorkKeys Test during probationary period (90 days from start date).
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively with students, teachers, treatment staff and administrators.
- Prefer knowledge of computer technology and software application.
- Demonstrate good physical health and stamina.
- Demonstrate ability to function well within a team in an educational setting.
Only those candidates that provide the requested information will be considered.
- Provide a resume and letter of interest including a review of relevant experience.
- With your letter of interest you must provide photographic evidence of meeting the minimal qualifications, i.e., copies of diplomas, educational transcripts, certifications and licensure.
- Current letters of reference.
- Materials received from applicants after the deadline will not be considered.
- Internal applicants are equally responsible for providing all requested information. Calhoun Intermediate School District will not retrieve or copy information from your personnel file. It is the applicant's sole responsibility and if necessary the person should make the needed arrangements in order to review their personnel file and obtain any copies to include with their letter of interest and resume.
Application Deadline: May 2, 2012, at 4:00 p.m. (Internal)
Open Until Filled (External)
The Calhoun Intermediate School District is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, handicap, sex, age, religion, national origin, weight, height, or marital status in its employment practices.