The Academy for Urban School Leadership (AUSL) is a nonprofit school management organization operating in partnership with the Chicago Public Schools (CPS). Our mission is to improve student achievement in Chicago’s high-poverty, chronically failing schools through a disciplined transformation process, built on a foundation of specially trained AUSL teachers. AUSL, a rapidly growing nonprofit with nearly $25 million in annual revenue, will manage a network of 25 schools for CPS in the 2012-13 school year. For more information about AUSL, visit www.ausl-chicago.org.
Under the direction of the Director of Development, the Grant Writer plays an important role in supporting development activities to meet annual fundraising goals from a variety of sources. The Grant Writer assists with conceptualizing new program initiatives, concept papers, and proposals, ensuring that submissions to funders and external stakeholders are representative of AUSL’s work. The ideal candidate must have proven experience writing grant proposals, excellent judgment, and flexibility in responding to changing priorities. Applicants must also be able to work as an adaptable team member and function well under pressure. In addition, candidates must be self-motivated and proficient at researching funding prospects, preparing reports, and composing other grant-related correspondence.
- Increases AUSL’s funders base by identifying and researching (guidelines for submission, application materials, etc.) new opportunities for funding from a wide variety of sources, including foundations, corporations, individuals, and government;
- Performs all aspects of submitting Letters of Inquiry, proposals, grants and follow-up compliance reports, including, but not limited to gathering information, assembling materials, writing, research, and other communications, as necessary;
- With guidance from the Director of Development, develops projects suitable for grant funding and prepares grant applications;
- Tracks and reports grant efforts against goals;
- Ensures accurate and timely reporting for existing funders;
- Maintains electronic and hard copy files and regularly updates development databases (Excel and Raisers Edge);
- Coordinates funder correspondence (acknowledgement letters and stewardship updates);
- Prepares and tracks annual calendar of grant activities;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
- Minimum three years grant writing experience
- Strong editing skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Proficiency with Excel or Raiser’s Edge
- High-level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, and internet based research
- Strong interest in working in education reform and social justice fields
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Professional demeanor and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to remain flexible under pressure
- Proven ability to multi-task and work in a busy office
- Ability to be self-motivated and be a strong problem solver.
AUSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Apply online at www.ausl-chicago.org/ausl-apply.html and scroll down to select this position, complete a brief online application, upload your resume, cover letter, and writing sample.