Simsbury Public Schools is accepting applications for a Special Education Teacher for Simsbury High School's Pathways program. The Pathways program is an alternative setting located at Simsbury High providing education services to students with social, emotional/behavioral challenges. Special Education certification is required. Interested candidates should complete the on-line application and upload cover letter, resume, transcripts, reference letters, and proof of certification. If unable to upload documents may be sent to:
Human Resources Coordinator
Simsbury Public Schools
933 Hopmeadow Street
Simsbury, CT 06070
Position Open Until Filled
TITLE: Secondary Educational Support Specialist /Pathways Teacher
1. Valid Connecticut Teacher Certification
2. Experience /knowledge of special education services for students with social/emotional/behavioral challenges/disabilities
3. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
REPORTS TO: Supervisor of Pathways
JOB GOAL: To provide each student serviced within the Pathways alternative program with appropriate educational and behavioral supports that will enable him/her to reach his/her potential educationally, physically, and emotionally.
Planning and Preparation:
1. In collaboration with core academic teachers assist in establishing appropriate lesson goals and objectives units of instruction and co – plan transdisciplinary units.
2. Establish/implement a routine for daily lesson co-planning and assessment.
3. Assist in preparing materials and technology to assist in making appropriate accommodations and modifications for students within the academic Pathways environment.
Behavioral/Social Emotional Supports:
4. Provide students with appropriate counseling (individual/peer group) within the resource or intensive setting in coordination with the school psychologist and/or social worker.
5. In consultation with the psychologist and/or secondary behavior specialist, provide students with appropriate contracts and follow through on behavioral strategies recommended.
6. Create and maintain a learning environment in which students are actively engaged.
7. Provide academic instruction in functional reading, writing, and math skills for those students requiring significant remediation of skills.
8. Provide community and social instruction in a variety of natural environments.
Assessment of Students:
9. Collect, analyze and report data related to student academic and behavioral performance.
10.Assist students in self-evaluation of their individual growth and development in academic, transition and behavioral domains.
11.Assess student’s individual interests and abilities and in collaboration with the district Transition Specialist provide opportunities for students to develop their skills and apply them in vocational and leisure settings.
12.Maintain appropriate student records and submit requested reports within designated timeframes.
13.Maintain communications with parents regarding student performance and needs.
14.Establish effective vehicles of communication between home and school so as to ensure parent involvement in the student’s educational program and goals.
15.Maintain responsibility for case management of IEPs for special education students in the Pathways program and ensures that all individually designed services as stated in the IEP are provided.
16.Collaborate with all members of the Pathways instructional and support team on an on-going basis.
17.Collaborate with the secondary Behavior Specialist to design and implement effective behavioral supports and individual intervention plans.
18.Establish routines and schedules to ensure effective collaboration with related service providers to Pathways students.
19. Works cooperatively with other general education classroom teachers who have Pathways students in their classrooms and assists them in making appropriate classroom modifications to meet student needs.
20.Maintain confidentiality regarding students, except in situations requiring that information be shared.
21.Attend all PPTs and student meetings regarding any student assigned to the Pathways program as well as students being considered for placement into Pathways.
22. Maintains appropriate student progress records, individual educational program and evaluation reports and prepares pertinent reports requested by the Director/Supervisor of Special Education Instruction.
22.Accept responsibility for personal professional development and growth in order to improve teaching, and knowledge related to the instruction of students with social emotional behavioral disabilities including, but not limited to participation in related conferences and organizations.
23.Collaborate with other special education department team members in order to ensure compliance with departmental procedures.
24. Carries out other responsibilities as designated by the Supervisor/Director of Special Education.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Ten month school year as determined by the Board of Education.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel and in accordance with the provisions of P.A. 74-278