Job Description for Special Education Teaching Specialist:
Job goal: To provide teachers necessary staff development and support that will enable them to implement state standards, as required by IDEA 04, so that a greater percentage of special education students (1) will be integrated into the general education classroom 80% of the time, (2) all SPED students will have access to the general education curriculum, and (3) all special education students will increase proficiency on state math and reading assessments.
- Kansas Special Education Teacher License.
- Master’s degree
- History of high performance as a master teacher and IEP manager.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Excellent personal relationship skills.
- Research interventions and best practices in order to train, model and coach staff regarding specialized instruction for exceptional children.
- Plan, develop, facilitate, and oversee the implementation of professional growth of special education staff under the guidance of the special education administrative team.
- Consult and collaborate with general education curriculum specialists and instructional coaches to inform of and support specialized instruction.
- Train, model, and coach new special education professional staff in Standards Based Individualized Education Planning processes under the supervision of administrative staff.
- Serve as an instructional leader for special education services.
Salary: Based on USD 259’s Teacher Salary Schedule Plus Supplemental Contract for weekly, after school curriculum connections committees and after school trainings.
Term of Employment: Standard Teacher Contract Days plus up to 10 addendum days.
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated by the Special Education Director Curriculum and Professional Development in alignment with WPS reflective staff evaluation system. (T1 T2)