Posting dates: 4/27/12 through 5/03/12 or until filled
Start date: June 13, 2012
End date: July 11, 2012
Hours: Monday through Friday; mornings, plus some set-up time (there may be several positions available)
Under the direction of certified teacher, provides assistance both to teachers and children in implementing lesson plans in the Early Childhood Family Education program. May work closely on an individual basis with children requiring close supervision and special assistance. Provides support, explanation, re-teaching and discipline.
Essential functions of the job include the following:
- Work with "at risk" learners.
- Instruct and support children in classrooms, other learning sites and community settings. Assist the student in developing self advocacy skills and in developing greater independence.
- Monitor, evaluate and record classroom behaviors, problem solve and discuss expectations of appropriate behavior with children; initiate appropriate consequences for child misbehavior (time-out or problem solving). Problem solve with disruptive children and gives positive feedback. Assist to determining goals for children.
- Assists in implementing daily instructional plans.
- May occasionally supervise children in learning center, assist children with assignments, monitor, evaluate and record student behavior, present recommendations to teachers, support staff and administrators.
- May provide children with assistance in dealing with issues such as personal hygiene, medical needs, toileting, diapering, lifting, feeding, boarding and/or getting off busses.
- Enjoy working with young children. Some experience working with babies and toddlers.
Other functions of the job include but are not limited to the following:
- Supervise children during lunch, in hallways and on field trips to insure orderly conduct.
- Preparation of classroom materials, filing, filling out review evaluation sheets on children, preparing memos and letters for staff and parents.
- Other duties as necessary or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Must meet the criteria for highly qualified paraprofessional as defined by No Child Left Behind (NCLB. This means either:
- Two years of study at an institution of higher education; Minnesota’s standard:
A minimum of 60 semester credits or the amount required to complete two years of
full time enrollment as determined by the institution attended.
- Obtained an associate’s (or higher) degree.
- Take the ParaPro test and successfully pass it with a score of 460 or higher.
· Must possess and display excellent human relations skills when dealing with staff, students, and community. Ability to effectively present
information in one-on-one and small group situations. Ability to get along with other people, work cooperatively in team situations and have
patience in dealing with parents and students.
· Health care experience or training may be required.
· Ability to work with emotionally, physically and/or mentally impaired students. Ability to maintain composure under stressful conditions.
· Ability to communicate effectively and concisely both orally and in writing.
· Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. Ability to interpret documents, ability to write routine reports and
· Ability to perform basic mathematical computations and interpret data related to student performance.
· Ability to operate a computer and knowledge of multiple software packages.
· Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies. Regular attendance.
Regularly required to walk throughout a building and may occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds, and must be able to restrain students when needed, and may be required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
Contract Paraprofessional will receive current rate of pay, all others will receive $12.00 per hour.