Posting dates: 5/01/12 through 5/07/12 or until filled
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8.0 hours per day; 10:00 PM - 6:30 AM
Perform general cleaning duties in and around school buildings; vacuum, scrub, wax, buff, and sweep floors; perform minor maintenance and repair of plumbing, heating, ventilation, and electrical equipment; set up tables, chairs, and other equipment for events; provide entry and access to school buildings during events; secure buildings following events; distribute supplies to offices upon delivery; remove snow from outside grounds during winter months.
Essential job functions include the following:
- Perform general cleaning functions such as vacuum, scrub, wax, buff and sweep floors which may include mixing various cleaning and maintenance chemicals.
- Performs minor maintenance to keep schools and classroom operational such as repair plumbing, heating, ventilation, and electrical equipment not requiring an outside contractor.
- Secures building and tests and resets fire alarms.
- Sets up equipment for sporting events, concerts and other meetings or special events.
- Checks boilers, gauges and pumps to ensure proper orientation, adds oil to pumps or turns off pumps as necessary. Refers operational problems to lead custodian.
- Opens or closes building as necessary.
- Distributes supplies for kitchen, office, teachers and departments.
Other functions of the job include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs minor repairs to chairs, desks, chair glides and other school equipment, furniture, etc.
- Conducts minor ground maintenance including mowing, landscaping, snow removal, painting, raking or similar tasks.
- Supervises student workers in performance of general cleaning tasks.
- Is on call for emergencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Employees must hold at least a special boiler license or obtain prior to completion of the probationary period.
· Ability to get along with district employees, and be courteous and helpful with students and general public.
· Knowledge of requirements of maintaining school buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
· Knowledge of modern cleaning methods including basic methods of cleaning and preserving floors, black boards, carpets, furniture, walls and fixtures.
· Knowledge of cleaning equipment, tools, materials and supplies used in custodial work.
· Ability to learn custodial procedures, methods and schedules.
· Ability to maintain classrooms, offices and other school facilities in a clean, safe and secure condition.
· Ability to use common cleaning equipment and supplies safely and efficiently.
· Ability to move and arrange furniture and equipment for meetings and special events.
· Ability to observe and report safety hazards and need for maintenance and repair.
· Ability to perform minor maintenance and repair on furniture, equipment and facilities.
· Ability to confer with site administrators and supervisor regarding custodial needs, schedules and concerns.
Standing and walking 90% of the time. Involves: twisting, bending, stooping, squatting, climbing stairs and lifting requirements of up to 20 pounds 50% of the time. Involves: crouching, pulling, pushing, climbing ladders, twisting while lifting, sweeping, extended reaches of 20 pounds overhead and lifting of 50-100 pounds with mechanical assistance at least 25% of the time.
$17.19 during six (6) month probationary period
$20.42 after six (6) month probationary period