Cañon City School District Fremont RE-1 is looking for a GATE (Gifted And Talented Education) Specialist Half-time to begin August 2012 for the 2012-2013 school year. The position requires the following:
• Colorado Teacher License and a Gifted/Talented state endorsement or a willing-ness to become endorsed within 2 years of employment
• Ability to manage Advanced Learning Plan conferences, cases and paperwork
• Technology skills: Excel, Word, Alpine Achievement, Infinite Campus
• An understanding and a commitment of the importance of advocating for Gift-ed/Talented students in and out of the classroom
• Practical experience with competitions and excellent skills related to organization and time management
• Proven ability to foster and maintain positive rapport and collaboration with co-workers, parents, and students
• Practical experience with administration and interpretation of assessment tools
• Must be able to provide own transportation in-district
• Skilled in developing schedules
• Must be well organized
• Ability to work with students who have a wide range of ages and abilities
• Ability to demonstrate a strong rapport with students, parents and the community
• Support for mission and goals of the District in developing compassionate, re-sponsible, independent and productive citizens is critical
• Ability to read, write and speak the English language and comply with directions and instructions to complete task and establish priorities.
• Possess skills to be able to utilize basic technology as directed by the District to communicate and function effectively as a 21st century employee.
• Designs gifted curriculum based on student interests and strengths
• Designs gifted curriculum with emphasis on rigor, relevance, critical thinking, creativity, and leadership
• Help facilitate gifted enrichment activities: Math Counts, Geography Bee, Spelling Bee, Science Fair
• Provides affective lessons around the social and emotional needs of gifted learners
• Collaborates with general education teachers to support differentiation in the regular classroom
• Gathers resources/materials to support regular classroom teachers
• Compiles GATE testing summaries
• Communicates with parents of gifted learners on an ongoing basis
• Participates in committee work to make eligibility determinations for referred stu-dents
• Arranges and conducts Advanced Learning Plan conferences
• Manages and monitors Advanced Learning Plan documents
• Facilitates Gifted Education teacher workshops as needed
• Helps facilitate gifted enrichment activities: Math Counts, Geography Bee, Spelling Bee, Science Fair, etc..
TO APPLY: Complete an online application at www.canoncityschools.org. Inquiries may be made to Ty Valentine, Human Resources Director, 719-276-5700, Cañon City Schools, 101 North 14th Street, Cañon City, CO 81212. Application must be complete and submitted by Monday, May 7, 2012.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Cañon City Schools is an equal opportunity education institution and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of age, race color, national origin, sex, disability or sexual orientation. Cañon City Schools complies with Title IX.