Job Title: Special Education Teacher - Work Year: 2012/2013
Autism Center Based Program
Department: Student Services Hours Per Day: 7
Reports to: Jackie Whittington Days Per Year: 183
Revision Date: April 12, 2012
Provide instruction to students with autism participating in a K-5, center-based program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Differentiate instruction for students according to student needs.
- Plan, organize and implement classroom materials and curriculum.
- Regularly monitor student learning progress to evaluate the effectiveness of the educational approaches being used and make adjustments as required.
- Administer appropriate formal and informal assessments to evaluate academic and functional skill level, progress, and achievement and to make instructional decisions.
- Develop and implement standards-based IEPs.
- Consultation and collaboration with general educators and other special education providers.
- Provide modeling and coaching for support staff who work in the program.
- Professional and respectful communication with parents of students in the program.
Education and Training:
- Must hold current Colorado Teaching License with appropriate special education endorsement (or application submitted to Colorado Department of Education)
- At least 3 year’s experience working with student’s with Autism
- Research, training on evidence-based or best practices for students with autism
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to utilize evidence-based or best practices for teaching students with autism
- Functional Behavioral Assessment
- Data Collection and Analyses
- Consultation and Collaboration
- Teaching Strategies (Prompting, Prompt Fading, Error Correction Procedures, Errorless learning etc.)
- Eliciting Communication
- Understanding/Knowledge of PECS and other AAC approaches
- Coaching and modeling for support staff who work in the program
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. Specific duties may vary depending upon location, or additional duties maybe assigned by the location.