LIBRARY MEDIA ASSISTANT, 6 Hour
- Knowledge, training and/or experience in library practices and procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and the ability to assist in instructing, reading, writing and mathematics or reading readiness, writing readiness, and mathematics readiness, as appropriate
- High school diploma
- Knowledge of and ability to operate a variety of media equipment including but not limited to computers, laserdisc players, videocassette recorders and miscellaneous audio-visual equipment
- Ability to follow oral and written directions
- Skill and accuracy in oral and written expression
- Ability to work effectively with staff, students and community
- Knowledge of basic recordkeeping procedures; ability to type
REPORTS TO: Principal
JOB GOAL: To assist in provision of library materials and services for classroom student and faculty use
- Maintains neat and orderly library with pleasant and relaxing atmosphere conducive to student use; assembles and arranges displays of library books and materials
- Assists teachers in scheduling and supervising students in library
- Sorts, shelves, issues and reviews library books, materials and equipment
- Maintains library book, material and equipment records including circulation records, catalog cards, overdue notices, identification records, etc.
- Assists students and staff in locating learning resources through the use of catalogs, indices, bibliographic data, technology and media equipment and similar references; assists in providing teachers with information related to library media resources
- Assists in inventory of materials and equipment; repairs books and materials as needed
- Assists in planning and conducting activities for students to encourage reading, viewing and listening and use of library materials and facilities; selects materials and conducts storytelling sessions
- Attends inservice meetings for professional development
- Performs other related duties as assigned
SALARY: $1,386 - $1,682 per month
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the District’s “Improvement of Professional Services Handbook”, Board Policies and Procedures and consistent with collective bargaining agreements when applicable
NEW PROBATIONARY EMPLOYEES AND PERMANENT EMPLOYEES WHO BECOME PROBATIONARY UPON RECLASSIFICATION:
A new employee, or a permanent employee who is changed to a new classification, shall serve a probationary period, which shall not exceed one (1) year of duty time exclusive of leaves of absence or other absences. During this probationary period the employee must meet the required standards of performance to be recommended for permanent status in the classification. A probationary classified service employee may be terminated from the probationary classification at any time without cause, without right of appeal or hearing before the Board of Education. Pursuant to Education Code section 45113, a permanent employee who accepts a promotion and fails to complete the probationary period for that promotional position, shall be employed in the classification from which he or she was promoted.
MINIMUM APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Online application and any required documents listed below must be submitted by 8:00 p.m. on May 16, 2012.
High School diploma (a diploma from a public California high school dated after January 1, 1981 will also satisfy #3 below)
Certification of Kern High School District proficiency in reading, writing and mathematics verified by one (1) of the following:
a. Diploma from a public California high school dated after January 1, 1981 (G.E.D. does not fulfill the proficiency requirement)
b. Certificate of passage of Kern High School District proficiency test
c. Proof of passage of California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
d. Possession of a valid California teaching credential
3. Verification of one (1) of the following:
a. Two years (48 semester units of study at an accredited college or university
b. Associate’s or higher degree from an accredited college or university
c. Passage of BCSD Paraprofessional Test
Copies of required certificates, transcripts or diplomas may be submitted with application. District may require that originals be presented for verification prior to employment. Please check with Personnel Services regarding acceptable certificates. For positions requiring college course work official transcripts will be required upon employment.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to meet all application requirements and supply copies of all required documents. A separate set of paperwork is required for each application submitted. All application materials submitted become the property of Bakersfield City School District.
The Bakersfield City School District wishes to thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Positions may be re-advertised or application deadlines extended at the discretion of the District. Unless otherwise notified by the District, applications received in response to this bulletin will be considered for available District positions in this classification during the current school year. Those meeting minimum qualifications, including passage of required tests, will remain active during this time. Applicants will not be individually notified of their application status.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract expressed or implied and any of the provisions contained herein may be modified or revoked without notice.