Jr.-Sr. High School Physical Science Teacher
Closes: UNTIL FILLED
Moore Haven Jr-Sr High School - Glades County
SCHOOL DISTRICT OF GLADES COUNTY
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited educational institution.
- Valid Florida teacher certification in appropriate area.
- Must meet the No Child Left Behind Act regulations and requirements.
- Satisfactory criminal background check and drug screening.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the prescribed curriculum including emergent and early literacy.
- Knowledge of child growth and development and especially of characteristics of students/children in the age group assigned.
- Basic understanding and knowledge of current technology.
- Knowledge of learning styles.
- Ability to use varied teaching methods.
- Knowledge of current trends, research and best practices related to education.
- Knowledge of School Board policies and practices as they relate to teaching.
- Ability to handle problems, concerns and emotional distress with sensitivity and tact.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with students, parents, and others.
- Ability to plan, establish priorities and implement activities for maximum effectiveness.
- Ability to assess levels of student achievement effectively, analyze test results, and prescribe actions for improvement.
- Ability to maintain appropriate student supervision so that students have a safe and orderly environment in which to learn.
- Ability to work effectively with peers, administrators and others.
- Knowledge of Florida Educator Accomplished Practices and Teacher Competencies.
Principal or designee
To provide an educational experience in which students move toward the fulfillment of their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and psychological growth and maturation.
ESSENTIAL PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create or select short- and long-range plans based on district and state curriculum requirements, student profiles and instructional priorities.
- Identify specific intended learning outcomes that are challenging, meaningful, and measurable.
- Plan and prepare a variety of learning activities considering individual student's culture, learning styles, special needs, and socio-economic background.
- Use Academic Improvement Plans (AIPs), Individual Education Plans (IEPs), English Language Learners (ELL) plans and 504 plan goals as a basis for planning differentiated instruction.
- Develop or select instructional activities which foster active involvement in the learning process.
- Identify, select and modify instructional materials to meet the needs of students with varying backgrounds, learning styles and special needs.
- Assist in assessing changing curricular needs and plans for improvement.
- Maintain a positive, organized and safe learning environment.
- Use time effectively.
- Manage materials and equipment effectively.
- Use effective student behavior management techniques.
- Enforce school rules, administrative regulations and Board policies.
- Establish and maintain effective and efficient record keeping procedures, including but not limited to, required individual student plans and reports.
- Use technology resources effectively.
- Coordinate and monitor the work of volunteers and aides when assigned.
- Develop and use assessment strategies, traditional and alternative, to assist the continuous development of students.
- Interpret data including but not limited to standardized and other test results for diagnosis, instructional planning and program evaluation.
- Establish appropriate testing environment and test security.
- Communicate, in understandable terms, individual student progress to the student, parents, and professional colleagues who need access to the information.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of instructional units and teaching strategies.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of subject matter.
- Communicate high learning expectations for all students.
- Apply principles of learning and effective teaching in instructional delivery.
- Use a variety of instructional strategies appropriate for teaching students from diverse backgrounds with different learning styles and special needs and which enhance the application of critical, creative and evaluative thinking capabilities.
- Use appropriate material, technology, and other resources to help meet learning needs of all students.
- Provide appropriate instructional modification for students with special needs, including exceptional education students and students who have limited English proficiency.
- Recognize overt indicators of student distress or abuse and take appropriate action based on school procedures and law.
- Provide instruction on safety procedures and proper handling of materials and equipment.
- Foster student responsibility, appropriate social behavior, integrity, valuing of cultural diversity, and respect for self and others by role modeling and learning activities.
- Assist students with health and hygiene needs as required.
- Use appropriate technology in instructional delivery.
- Use technology to establish an atmosphere of active learning.
- Provide students with opportunities to use technology to gather and share information with others.
- Facilitate student access to the use of electronic resources.
- Explore and evaluate new technologies and their educational impact.
- Use technology to review student assessment data.
- Use technology for administrative tasks.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with other professionals, students, parents and community.
- Provide accurate and timely information to parents and students about academic and behavioral performance of students.
- Collaborate with other professionals and parents after recognizing student distress or abuse.
- Collaborate with peers and other professionals to enhance student learning.
- Implement skills acquired through professional development opportunities with fidelity.
- Engage in a continuing improvement of professional skills and knowledge.
- Establish and implement an individual Professional Development Plan annually in accordance with state and district requirements.
- Participate in school data collection of teacher input on principal's performance assessment program.
Student Growth and Achievement
- Act in a professional and ethical manner and adhere at all times to The Code of Ethics and Principles of Professional Conduct of the Education Profession in Florida.
- Demonstrate attention to punctuality and regular attendance.
- Prepare all required reports in an accurate and timely manner and maintain all appropriate records.
- Maintain confidentiality of student and other professional information.
- Comply with policies, procedures and programs.
- Exercise appropriate professional judgment.
- Support and participate in district/school initiatives, services and programs.
Perform other tasks consistent with the goals and objectives of this position.
- Ensure that student growth and achievement are continuous and appropriate for age group, subject area, and/or student program classification.
- Establish and maintain a positive collaborative relationship with the students' families to increase student achievement.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force as frequently as needed to move objects.
Job Description Supplement 03
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Salary and benefits shall be paid consistent with the district's approved compensation plan.
Length of the work year and hours of employment shall be those established by the district.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on evaluation of personnel.