Special Education Teacher for Primary School & Middle School
We are seeking Special Education Teachers with deep domain expertise, a high quality standard, a “do-whatever-it-takes” mindset, and a collaborative team-based approach to teaching-and-learning. Successful candidates will coordinate the provision of services for students with a variety of special needs building-wide. The position will teach part-time as part of Little Rock Preparatory Academy’s (LRPA) innovative team-teaching approach. The successful candidate will enable and support the entire team in meeting the special needs of students, including remedial, gifted and talented, disabilities and other unique needs. It is anticipated that this position will be an important and permanent addition to LRPA’s growing team.
Teaching & Program Coordination
· Manage special education programs, including delivering instruction and managing the delivery of services to a caseload of students with disabilities
· Teach part-time, including at least 2 classes each day
· Coordinate the provision of Learner Support Program – tutoring, mentoring and individualized services for students with a variety of needs
· Participate in 4-week Summer of Excellence training program
· Develop and document all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, and other curricular materials in alignment with the Arkansas Curriculum Frameworks
· Reinforce school-wide incentive system and behavioral expectations in classroom and throughout the school day
· Communicate effectively, maintain strong relationships, and attend all meetings with students, families and colleagues
· Maintain the school culture of high academic and behavioral expectations through continuous reflection, including modeling school values at all times
· Use the detailed data analysis of student performance to inform best practices, including Terra Nova, Arkansas Benchmark Examination and The Learning Institute interim tests
· Assist in student arrival and departure, transitions between class periods, and lunch periods
· Complete all tasks as assigned by the Principal and Executive Director
Qualifications and Experience:
· Qualified special education teacher with Arkansas certification in special education (at least provisional certification required)
· Ability to work with a variety of learning abilities, including those with special needs and low skill level in a heterogeneously grouped classroom setting
· Gifted teacher who connects with students & has clear command of chosen domain area.
· Flexible, collaborative and resilient with a desire to benefit from frequent, intensive classroom coaching, observation and instructional modeling.
· Committed to preparing all students for enrollment in college.
· Willing to be held accountable for the learning and achievement of students.
· Experience working with students who are challenging behaviorally.
· Hardworking with the capacity to manage time and a demanding workload effectively.
· Motivated by getting results with students.
· Willing to communicate frequently with parents about student behavior and performance.
· Commitment to managing student’s behavior in a positive, motivational manner that respects their dignity as human beings.
· Certification in the subject area to be taught preferred or willing to acquire Arkansas Certification in the core subject area
· Advanced degrees in education or content area preferred, but not necessary
Why Little Rock Preparatory Academy?
· We have the opportunity to change the life trajectory of our students.
· We seek to provide competitive pay, satisfying work conditions & upward mobility to our staff.
· We have a team-teaching environment where teachers collaborate to plan & deliver instruction.
· Our teachers are trained & developed by talented coaches within their respective areas of expertise.
· We are developing and implementing a research-based, best-practices academic design.
· LRPA is on the ground floor of building a new network of public charter schools that can set the standard for public education in communities that are educationally underserved.
· We believe in the continuous learning and improvement of all members of our team.
What we are.
· LRPA is a “No Excuses” school that has high expectations for all students.
· LRPA is a data-driven school that continuously tracks and uses data on students’ behavior and achievement to improve the learning of students and the effectiveness of teachers.
· LRPA is committed to fostering excellent relations with the family members of students.
LRPA offers competitive compensation commensurate with position responsibilities and commitment to a longer day and year.
- Complete resume or curriculum vitae with three professional references
- Cover Letter that demonstrates understanding of LRPA and opportunity for which candidate is applying.
Final candidates must pass a national criminal background check.
For any questions regarding this position or to submit a resume and cover letter outlining why you are a good fit for Little Rock Preparatory Academy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, call us at 501-683-1855, or visit our website at www.lrprep.org.