Head Wrestling Coach (REVISED)
St. Francis High School (9-12)
Hours Per Day: vary (as arranged with supervisor)Duty Days: 11/29/12 through end of the season, as arranged with supervisorType of Position: SeasonalSalary: Per Teachers Master Agreement, Schedule C (Category B, Lanes 1-5) $4,664-$6,996; based on experience.Supervisor of Position: Jeff Fink, Activities Director
QUALIFICATIONS: The Head Coach position is responsible for providing leadership and guidance to student athletes and assistant coaches within the program. The Head Coach reports to and works closely with the Activities Director to determine goals, direction, and growth of the program. The Head Coach is responsible for the health, safety and welfare of every student athlete participating in their program for St. Francis High School.Preferred: Extensive knowledge of the sport of wrestling as demonstrated by a minimum of 5 years varsity or collegiate wrestling experience or requisite wrestling experience that would deem the candidate qualified.Required: MN coaching certificate or MSHSL/NFICEP completion; Extensive knowledge of the sport
Successful candidates must also show competency in the following:
- Proven experience in teaching and modeling character and responsible behavior
- Positive, high energy, and committed
- Partners well with parents, staff, community leaders etc.
- View success not just as winning, but as helping team members to reach goals
- Provides a vision for the wrestling program’s developmental systems for all levels of wrestling.
- Teaches and defines for other coaches in the program the fundamentals specific to the St. Francis Program.
- Coordinates the conditioning and selection of athletes at all levels of boy’s wrestling.
- Follows and meets all expectations set forth by St. Francis Public Schools regarding the position of a head coach.
- Assists the athletic director in hiring qualified staff as assistant wrestling coaches.
- Coordinates the activities and responsibilities of assistant coaches.
- Active member of the Wrestling Coaches Association. Active would be defined as nominating athletes for all eligible awards.
- Develops and organizes effective practices focused on individual skill development, and team concepts necessary to compete at our assigned level in MSHSL.
- Works with the SFHS Athletic Director to develop team schedules.
- Demonstrates and generates among your staff and wrestlers an attitude of good sportsmanship and fair play by adhering to the Coach’s Code of Ethics and our conference sportsmanship guidelines.
- Knows and administers the policies, procedures, and guidelines set forth in our conference and MSHSL policy publications, and to supervise assistant coaches in carrying out the same guidelines set forth by St. Francis High School
- Adheres to the start and end dates of the wrestling season and rules pertaining to out-of season coaching as determined by the MSHSL.
- Creates a sport handbook informing all team members (before the season begins) of team rules, expectations, and letter requirements. The athletic director will provide a list of items to be covered in this handbook.
- Provides for the health, safety, and well being of team members at practices, games, and transportation to and from games.
- Affects a proper relationship with athletes, parents, school staff, and the media, publicizing your team on a regular basis. This includes an effective relationship with the St. Francis Wrestling Gladiator Booster Club, High School Booster Club, and St. Francis Community Education which facilitates wrestling camps.
- Works with the athletic director in determining what equipment/uniform needs are for your sport and how these items may be procured.
- Responsible for record keeping of the student activity account.
- Works collaboratively with the St. Francis Wrestling Booster Club and Gladiator Program to facilitate youth development.
- Works with St. Francis Wrestling Booster Club as a booster organization for 9-12 wrestling.
- Distributes and collects equipment on a timely basis, informing athletes of their responsibility for the use and return of athletic equipment/uniforms. It is the coach’s responsibility to collect all equipment that has been issued.
- Attends or completes a rules interpretation meeting each year sponsored by the MSHSL and to attend all conference meetings.
- Orders team transportation through the Activities Department.
- Assists the athletic director in determining schedules for all levels.
- Arranges for a post-season gathering and inform the athletic administrative assistant of letter awards/certificates needed.
- Completes a post-season report with necessary information as stated by Activities Director
- Communicates with post secondary institutions about future opportunities for wrestling athletes to continue their careers and to counsel athletes on recruiting.
- Provides leadership to help foster a wrestling culture in the ISD #15 communities, encouraging youth participation, and helping to grow the game locally and throughout the state of MN.
- Represents St. Francis in and around the community.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Activities Director