POSITION: Health Care Specialist-Summer 2012 (Temporary position)
Class 8/5.25 hours per day
HOURS: 7:45 am-1:00 pm Monday-Thursday
LOCATION: Woodbury Elementary School
The primary goal of the Health Care Specialist is to care for student health, injuries, and/or illnesses in an expedient manner. The Health Care Specialist must also demonstrate the ability and desire to work with medically fragile and/or cognitively impaired students and have the ability to perform technical nursing procedures under the direction of a Licensed School Nurse.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. First Aid:
a. Administer first aid, emergency, and episodic care accordingly to their nursing licensure and knowledge.
b. Monitor students and refer to Licensed School Nurse when assessments, evaluations, or nursing interventions may be necessary.
a. Work in close liaison with the Licensed School Nurse as the LSN plans services for students with special needs (i.e., technical nursing procedures, homebound services, transportation, or excessive absence follow-up).
b. Function as a team member of Health Services so student health is maintained or improved and learning is facilitated.
3. Record Keeping:
a. Responsible for health records including the emergency card, pupil health records, physicals, medical documentation, and Individual Health Plans.
b. Maintain data logs according to Lead Nurses request.
c. Compile logs into a year-end report (May of each year).
d. Accurately document all duties performed and any other necessary reasons.
e. Maintain confidential health files for students; restrict access to staff with “need to know.”
4. Student Wellness:
a. Assist with school screenings such as vision, hearing, and early childhood under supervision of a Licensed School Nurse.
b. Comply with procedures for communicable diseases, under direction of Licensed School Nurse.
c. Reduce the spread of communicable diseases by collecting student immunization data according to State mandates.
5. Delegated Functions:
a. Administer medications to students under the direction of a licensed school nurse and school policy.
b. Support the technical health needs of students as directed and delegated by a Licensed School Nurse.
6. Other duties as assigned:
a. by Building Principal or Special Education Director
b. by supervising LSN or Lead Nurses
JOB SPECIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, LICENSE, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES):
1. Current licensing by the Minnesota Board of Nursing as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Registered Nurse (RN).
2. Ability to interact positively with all ages of people.
3. Current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification.
4. Current First Aid certification.
5. Ability to work within the scope and practice of the position.
6. Skills/experience in Windows-based computer software.
7. Prompt, regular and reliable attendance.
8. Ability to communicate with students, parents, co-workers, supervisors, and the community in a positive and responsive way that is consistently welcoming and enhances effective work relationships.
9. Demonstrated appreciation of diversity in all interactions and job functions.
1. Knowledge of and experience in working with children with special health needs and/or involved in special education.
Dates: Extended School Year runs from July 16, 2012-August 9, 2012
POSTING ENDS: May 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm