The Literacy Coach will meet with and advise teachers in regards to planning, modeling reading and writing instruction, and researching and presenting the most effective approaches to literacy instruction shown by current research, including but not limited to balanced literacy, reading workshop, guided reading, and writing workshop. Additionally, this position supports the district initiative to use data to drive and differentiate instruction (i.e., DRA2, Aimsweb) and to align literacy instruction with the Common Core State Standards at all levels. The successful candidate will work closely in coordination with the District Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction for Language Arts Literacy in planning and implementing professional development.
Qualifications for this position include:
- NJ Teacher Certification
- Extensive Language Arts background at the elementary and middle levels preferred
- Reading Specialist Certificate preferred
- Awareness of the 2010 Common Core State Standards
- Knowledge of State Testing Requirement/Expectations
- Experience with implementing reading workshop, guided reading, writing workshop, the Lucy Calkins writing philosophy