Special Education Teacher (Art), Long Term Substitute
Capitol View Center - Little Canada
NORTHEAST METRO 916 INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL DISTRICT
Date Posted: May 2, 2012
Position Title: Special Education Teacher (Art), Long Term Substitute
Assignment: Creative Alternatives Program at Capitol View Center
Expected Dates: August 20, 2012 through October 8, 2012
Responsible for providing an educational environment where students have the opportunity to fulfill their potential for growth. Responsible for organizing and implementing an instructional program that will result in students achieving academic success in accordance with district policies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implements and delivers instructional activities to actively engage students in meaningful learning experiences. Instructs and monitors students in the use of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities. Assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments.
- Plans and prepares lessons for appropriate subject and grade/age level and ensures that student growth and achievement is continuous. Evaluates, selects, and modifies instructional resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs.
- Provides a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities. Uses available resources and school continuum to effectively plan, present, monitor and assess student learning.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, with students, parents, and other professionals on a regular basis. Shares academic, behavioral, emotional information with parents and staff. Establishes and maintains positive relationships with students, parents and staff.
- Manages classroom resources and may also direct the work and manage day-to-day activities of Education Assistants
- Manages student behavior utilizing proactive, positive interventions and implements appropriate behavioral management plans and crisis intervention strategies. Ensures due process rights of students.
- Maintains accurate and complete records of students' progress and development including implementing plans for special education groups. May develop and write annual IEP’s, progress reports and three-year reassessments and complies with due process requirements
- Assesses changing curricular needs, offers plans for improvement, and develops new curriculum within District guidelines. Keeps up to date with developments in subject area, teaching resources and methods and make relevant changes to instructional plans and activities.
- Participates in department and school meetings, parent meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and licensed or able to obtain a license from the MN Department of Education in Special Education and Art.
Special Education Profile:
Special Education programs and services in Northeast Metro 916 are central to the Intermediate District’s mission and fully integrated in its structure and decision-making processes. Programs provide special education and related service support to students from early childhood through age 21 with emotional/behavioral disorders, autism spectrum disorders, developmental and cognitive disabilities, deaf and hard of hearing disabilities, and learning disabilities.
Our highly structured, safe learning environments share these characteristics:
- Classrooms of 4-10 students supported by 1-4 trained education assistants.
- Behavior management support, on-site mental health professionals, due process and curriculum support staff.
- In-house collaborative teams include: audiologists, behavior specialists, deaf/blind specialists and interveners, autism specialists, developmental adaptive physical education teachers, education assistants, health specialists, occupational therapists and assistants, physical/other health disabilities teachers, physical therapists and assistants, school psychologists, school nurses, school social workers, speech/language pathologists, and sign language interpreters.
Equal Opportunity Employer