Early Childhood Special Education Teaching Specialist
Knowledge and Skills
· Demonstrates knowledge in current trends in Early Childhood and
· Demonstrates professional expertise in the area of District curricula and Early Learning Standards used for Pre-K students.
· Demonstrates proficiency in providing services in the Least Restrictive Environment.
· Strong background in providing positive behavioral support strategies
· Demonstrates professional expertise in curricula for students served in Autism, Intellectual Disabilities and Multiple Disabilities programs.
· Demonstrates understanding of first and second language acquisition.
· Proficient in the use of computers, software, and other media.
· Demonstrates excellent people skills.
· Demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Ability to collaborate effectively, solve problems and mediate disagreements.
· Demonstrates a pattern of life long learning to enhance professional skills.
· Demonstrates traits of a master teacher and leader in the field.
· Projects a professional presence and demeanor.
- Assists in maintaining and improving existing Pre-K special education programs by providing professional advice to teachers.
- Serves as resource person in the area of Pre-K special education for all district personnel and the special education department.
- Assists and consults with teachers in the development and implementation of individual education programs for pupils assigned to Pre-K special education programs.
- Serves as a liaison with appropriate community agencies to improve programming for all areas of early childhood as well as maintaining community awareness and good public relations for pupils birth through five.
- Assists in planning and providing professional development opportunities for all personnel associated with the early childhood programs.
- Serves as a specialist in training on curricular adaptations and supplemental curriculum.
- Provide support to general and special education teachers and staff including effective strategies in instruction, behavior and classroom management.
- Provide training to general and special education staff on effective integration of Pre-K learners with special needs.
- Assist teams in the development of Technical Assistance Plans related to serving Pre-K special education students.
- Assists teams with Technical Assistance Plans.
- Assists teams in determining Least Restrictive Environment.
- Assists teams in linking Early Learning Standards, Curriculum, and IEP Goals and Objectives to create functional programming for young children.
- Assists teams in the Early Childhood Outcomes data collection and reporting process.
- Assists Early Childhood Outcomes Team in special education evaluations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports to the Special Education Coordinator for Early Childhood programs
a) Provides documentation of (training) activities
b) Communicates challenges as well as celebrations.
Based on USD 259’s Teacher Salary Schedule Plus Supplemental Contract for weekly, after
school curriculum connections committees and after school trainings.
Term of Employment
Standard Teacher Contract Days plus up to 20 addendum days.