JOB TITLE: School Secretary
High School Diploma
Spanish fluency (written and oral)
Knowledge and demonstrated performance in computer skills, typing, office organization, bookkeeping and record keeping.
Ability to follow and successfully complete both oral and written direction.
Productive relationship building skills with students, staff, parents and community.
Ability to think clearly and calculate accurately.
Possess sound emotional judgment with the ability to work with people of various personality types.
Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
SALARY RANGE: $10.00 - $11.25
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
JOB GOAL: Provides the building principal with the assistance necessary to manage and operate the instructional and business functions of the school.
1. Types and processes a variety of materials such as letters, student records, reports,
memos and monthly statement.
2. Prepares and maintains an inventory of records in a central storage area and
ensures that all record management procedures of the building meet all legal
3. Maintains inventories, replenishes stockroom supplies, and checks in all materials
ordered on the budget for all staff members.
4. Maintains a regular filing system, as well as a set of locked confidential files and
processes incoming correspondence as instructed.
5. Receives and delivers inter-office communications, prepares parcels for mailing, and receives and distributes mail and materials.
6. Assists at the counter, welcomes visitors and new families and arranges for their
comfort, and screens/monitors unexpected callers and visitors in accordance to a
7. Maintains a daily staff attendance log and the concomitant records for substitute
teachers, and arranges for substitutes on an emergency basis.
8. Ensures that input data and files are entered as required in order to maintain staff
and student records.
9. Helps plan, organize and control overall activities of electronic data processing and
computer operations as related to the schools instruction program, pupil record
keeping, attendance and business operations.
10. Operate multi-positioned telephone to relay incoming, outgoing and inter-office calls, and answers questions of callers according to school policy.
11. Maintains an attractive and comfortable reception area which includes a table with
current school district publications and periodicals of general interest.
12. Composes and transcribes correspondence for the principal.
13. Recommends elimination or revision of existing forms, procedures, programs or
14. Remains up-to-date on changing procedures and technology related to electronic
data, computers and professional record keeping.
15. Receives, routes and issues timely announcements of upcoming events, deadline
permits for community use of school facilities and maintenance work orders for the
16. Applies first aid in absence of the school nurse.
17. Maintains confidentiality of all information concerning students, staff or
parent/guardian in any public setting and chooses the appropriate time, place and
supervisor to discuss problems.
18. Help administer the hot lunch program through collecting money, checking off
students, and maintains daily, weekly and monthly records and reports.
19. Works with parent groups in providing needed assistance.
20. Oversees scheduling for: parent-teacher conferences, BIT, teacher observations,
21. Coordinates dissemination, organization and collection of testing materials.
22. Coordinates student registration procedures.
23. Assists students with immediate needs: i.e. missed bus, lockers, etc.
24. Prepares and maintains a complete and systematic set of records of all financial
transactions of the school.
25. Performs those duties and tasks as may be appropriate for the smooth and efficient
operation of the school.