REPORTS TO: Directors of Special Education
The district’s Assistive Technology Specialist will collaborate with special education teams to provide evaluation and consultation for students recommended for assistive technology services, will provided professional development across the district will consult with families and outside providers and will order and maintain assistive technology equipment and materials.
Evaluation/Consultation of students referred for AT services, including the following:
· Record review
· Attendance at strategies, team meeting and PPT’s as necessary
· Collaboration on IEP’s as necessary
· Writing reports for evaluations/summaries for consultations
· Phone calls/ Emails to parents, other “outside” professionals working with student
· Conduct trials of software/devices = 6-12 weeks for most
Training members of students’ educational team including student, including the following:
· Training staff (teachers, paraprofessionals) and parents on the use, integration and maintenance of software and devices.
· Working with peers if necessary to facilitate use of AT
· Classroom lessons to facilitate use of AT
· Assist with programming and training of AAC devices
· Ongoing technical assistance and support of student/staff use of AT tools
Professional Development Activities across the district, including the following:
· District training sessions, before and after school and professional development days.
· Staff meeting times, as requested
· Also requires that individual attend professional development activities outside of district to increase/maintain knowledge – including conferences, workshops, list serves, webinars, etc.
· Knowledge of the types, uses/applications and availability of assistive technology devises and programs
· Knowledge of the CT State Department of Education’s Assistive Technology Guidelines
· Ability to communicate effectively – verbal and written
· Ability to teach/train – both students & adults
· Ability to work in a team, in learning situation
· Strong organizational skills
· Ability to continually learn, use & teach new software and equipment
- Certification as a special education teacher or as a speech and language pathologist with experience
- Specific training/coursework preferred in areas of assistive technology
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Ten-month work year with salary commensurate with HFT teacher’s salary schedule. Extended Day 8% (8-4) /Extended Year 16% (25 additional days) ability
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: All internal and external applicants must submit an online application.
To apply, go to: http://www.applitrack.com/hartford/onlineapp/
Or go to www.hartfordschools.org and follow the appropriate link.
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D