Teach for America Candidates
AUSL School Network
We are seeking full-time elementary teachers in high need areas (Math, Science, SpEd, Music, Art, Bilingual Ed, & P.E.) We seek teachers who strive to enhance and advance knowing, teaching, and learning. Teachers who have the ability to create and sustain an authentic, engaging, and subject centered learning environment for all students are invited to apply.
The Academy for Urban School Leadership, a not-for-profit organization, will assume responsibility for the operation of this school as a CPS performance school. As a performance school, all teachers at AUSL Schools are employees of CPS. The terms of the Board of Education/Chicago Teachers Union collective bargaining agreement shall apply unless waived in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement or in accordance with State law.
The teacher hours include the regular school day - start and end times vary by school site. In some AUSL schools, some staff may be asked to teach after-school programs one hour on each of three days per week and attend after-school staff professional development for teachers one day per week. Compensation for after-school hours will be paid according to the CTU collective bargaining agreement. AUSL Turnaround elementary schools operate on the CPS Track E calendar, except in the first year of the AUSL turnaround.
In order to be considered for a position or an interview, applicants must:
1. submit a resume and letter of intent;
2. permit classroom observation/s by members of the teacher selection committee;
3. permit one or more interviews by a teacher selection committee
Contents of Letter of Intent. Address how the successful applicant:
· develops a positive, orderly learning environment which engages students and maximizes on-task behavior;
· develops lessons and student activities that progress coherently and are aligned with objectives and state standards;
· meets the needs of all students by differentiating the instructional delivery;
· constructs, examines, and reconstructs real teaching and management experiences in and out of the classroom;
· stimulates reflection by guiding students to explore areas of risk, discomfort and opportunity;
· participates in individual and group professional development activities
1. make a commitment to participate in a mandatory, paid, 5-week Summer Teacher Institute beginning June 28<sup>th</sup>, 2012;
2. possess current IL state certification for the specific content area or hold a provisional certificate as a member of an alternative teacher certification program as approves by the Illinois State Board of Education.
Legal Statement (Title IX): It is the policy of the Board of Education of the City of Chicago not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability or sex. Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and the regulations promulgated thereunder concerning sex discrimination should be referred to the Title IX Officer, Chicago Public Schools, 125 S. Clark St., Chicago, Illinois 60603, 773-553-2688 (TTY-773-553-2699).